Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shutting Down On Own

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 sunnybo

sunnybo

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:21 PM

hello thanks. im coming to this forum because i went to hijackthislog forum for help and they tried to help me but said they dont believe my issue is because of malware and sent me here. so please help me. i have windows xp home edition. i bought this computer in 2004. computers shuts off on its own while im doing things on computer or even when i move mouse when its in idol. i dont know why? need help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:40 PM

Does it give you any error messages when it shuts down or does it just shut off to a blank screen?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 08 December 2007 - 09:41 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

computer justs shuts off totally like id be shutting it off but it does it on its own.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:04 AM

If you go to the Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > click on System under Event Viewer (Local). You can check out the errors that have occurred at the times that the computer has turned off. The errors can be recognized by the red dot with the white X in it. If you look at the top of the columns one of them is titled Event, if you go down this column to the line that has an error you can right click on that number, click on Properties and a page with a description of the error will open. Please post three or four of these back here so that we can see them.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:22 AM

After following dc3's advice and there's nothing showing in the Event Viewer, I would suspect overheating. Dust gets inside you computer and over time gets packed into the heat sink fins and fans and it doesn't cool properley. That can be fixed by taking the sides off and using a can of compressed air to blow the items free of the nasties
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Cavillas

Cavillas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

Check to see if your main switch is shorting out, this can cause the problem.

#7 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:22 AM

whats the main switch n where is it? how do i check it?

#8 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

it says my mrtrate is messed up
not found. system control manager

#9 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:30 AM

there are lots of errors but only mrtrate is red x. let me write some down ok.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:45 AM

Mrtrate.dll is a file that is installed by Quicken, a product manufactured by Intuit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305649

Do you have Quicken 2000 or Quickbooks 2000 installed on this computer? If so you may have a corrupted installation and should uninstall it in the Add/Remove Programs and then reinstall the program.

Edited by dc3, 10 December 2007 - 12:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:29 AM

i have quicken 200 i think. but it came with computer i dont have computer disc it got lost during move. here are some errors found in event log also ok.

application management service terminated with the following error the specified module could not be found.

waring: dnscache- dns client service could not contact any dns servers for a repeated number of attempts

the following boot- start or system- start driver(s) failed to load: Aavmker4, fips, Intelppm

dcom got error

w32time

timeout (30000 millisecond) waiting for the Imapi cd burning com service service to connect.
i think u spell that Imapi or Imapl. ok

#12 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

i have quicken 2004. i just looked ok.

#13 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:44 AM

do i need quicken? if not can i just uninstall it n leave it like that.?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:15 AM

Quicken is financial management software and is not part of you OS, you can delete it if you don't need it. If you have the installation disk you can reinstall it if you decide that you do want it, but it looks like you will need to uninstall this program to solve this problem.

#15 sunnybo

sunnybo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:15 PM

ok i unistalled it, but my computer still shuts down when its in idol when i move mouse to get out of idol, it still shuts down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users