Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shark101a

shark101a

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:39 PM

I have an Dell Dimension E520 running XP. All of a sudden I cant get anything to display on the monitor. It shows that its not connected. I tried a different monitor but still nothing. I rebooted and I dont even get any beeps. I opened it up and I noticed the connector is built into the motherboard. Would I have to replace the motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:12 PM

If you're not getting a single post beep, it's more than the monitor. Does the power supply fan and the CPU fan spin when you turn it on?
To answer your 2nd question, if the onboard video is bad it's possible to get a video card and use that, but I think you have other problems
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

can you test your monitor on another pc?

#4 shark101a

shark101a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:15 PM

I have tried connecting to other monitors but same result.

#5 shark101a

shark101a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

The computer turns on and I do hear the fans running. I have connected this pc to other monitors and nothing is displayed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

I would check all connections (for secure fit) and reseat (remove and put back in) the RAM, if I was sure the PS was OK.

If the motherboard was dead, I don't think you'd see any sign of life so that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'd also try a PCI video card, especially if I had been using onboard video.

Any hard drive activity which you can recognize?

Louis

#7 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:54 PM

no, I asked, have you tested the monitors on another, different computer to verify that they work?

#8 shark101a

shark101a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:35 PM

I have tested the monitor on another computer and it turns on. I believe it has something to do with the video card but this one is different from what I have seen before. This one is attached to the motherboard and dont know how about replacing it.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:03 PM

There is no"removing" onboard video. You can disable it in the BIOS when you install the appropiate PCI, AGP, or PCI-E video card
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:16 AM

Try plugging in a graphcis card and then see if it works, if your display comes up by connecting the monitor via the graphics card then it means your on-board display is faulty and isnt going to work, so, use the graphics card and leave the on-board graphics. I had this same problem a year ago with my old computer, the on-board graphics went faulty but it worked fine with an actuall graphics card. Also having a graphics card is going to save you some Ram that the on-board graphics card used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users