Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 YellanPhine827

YellanPhine827

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hey I am REALLLY new to this and need help.. I've read a few of your posts withs and it seems as if you all are very informative and helpful.. I have been having major computer problems.. I figured I had a virus.. so I ran my virus scan thru AOL... nothing ever came up.. but when I ran a scan thru the McAfee.com... I got a message saying

Dectect File

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Reboot.exe.. threat name Generic PUP.q

I see you all tell people to do a HijackThis but I dont know how.. :thumbsup: forgive me...

Is there something I could do?

Thanks

YELLA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

Have you used smitfraudfix or any other specialized fix tool recently.

Smitfraudfix is a tool to detect and remove smitfraud infections. However, certain files that are part of the tool, such as process.exe, restart.exe, SmiUpdate.exe, ws2fix.exe and reboot.exe, may at times be detected by some anti-virus/anti-malware scanners as a "RiskTool", "Hacking tool", "Potentially unwanted tool", or even "malware (virus/trojan)" when that is not the case.

Such programs have legitimate uses in contexts where an authorized user or administrator has knowingly installed it. These detections do not necessarily mean the file is malware or a bad program. It means it has the potential for being misused by others. Anti-virus scanners cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert you or even automatically remove them. In these cases the detection is a "False Positive". Smitfraudfix is not a virus or malware. Either have your anti-virus ignore this detection or delete the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users