Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing My First Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

i had an emachines t1860 given to me and was told that it needed a power supply. this is true because there is a big open space in the back on the top. it has windows xp, and was a good computer apparently.
i was also given a "nova" that supposedly had a defective hard drive. this is all the obvious info i have on it. i don't even know what OS it has installed. i have never even heard of nova, but it is a large tower loaded with extras, and it has a power supply. both computers were free.
i removed the ps from the nova, and i thought i labeled each terminal according to which unit/drive it was unplugged from. it looks like i am going to be able to plug everything exactly the way it needs to be plugged (it's amazing how everything is lining up and falling into place) except the emachines has a floppy. it turns out the nova also has a floppy, but i can't recall ever unplugging anything from it.
i can't say whether my issues with the floppy will be the last obstacle with installing this power supply, but i figured with guidance from someone who has been down this road. i might be able to wire this whole thing correctly.
the floppy in the emachines has two sockets. one small 4 pin, and one large 4 pin. the ps has terminals to accomodate those sockets. i may never use the floppy, but i still would like to wire it correctly. any and all expertise is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:43 PM

Is this just a plain old floppy disk unit or one of the floppy, all-in-one card readers? There should be only one standard 4 pin molex connector and the flat ribbon cable to the motherboard
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

mark,
i stand corrected. it doesn't have the larger 4 pin socket like the hard drive and the dvd drive has. i don't know what i was looking at when i thought it has the larger 4 pin socket (obviously somewhere else, my fault). it does, however have the ribbon that goes to the motherboard, and the smaller 4 pin socket (one of the terminals from the ps will go right on it, but should it?). is that smaller 4 pin the "molex" socket? it looks like many in VCR's.
it also has some identification numbers. some i can see, others i can't. hopefully this can identify it.
samsung SFD-321B
how can i tell if it's a "plain old floppy" or an "all-in-one"? does an all-in-one look different? how?
thanks for the reply. there's something about these projects that i get a kick out of.
i already have a computer. i don't even know what i would do with a spare. Ed

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Here's a couple of examples, of an "all-in-one" (floppy/card reader combos):
Rosewill RCR-FD200 All-in-one Card Reader with 1.44MB Floppy Drive
9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader /W FDD
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ejames82

ejames82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:58 PM

tg1911,
it's good to hear from you again. it's been a while.
the floppy in this emachines has one door in which to put the floppy in. the examples that you've provided have 2 doors each.
with that in mind. i think this floppy i have here is a "plain old floppy"
thanks for the reply, Ed

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:03 PM

You're welcome, Ed.
Glad to help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users