Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

I use the latest version of Ccleaner (v 2.03.532), and XP Home (with SP2).

Often when running Ccleaner (the Issues option), I keep getting 'Uninstaller Reference Issues' (the same 13 ones). This has been the case for some time now.

No matter how many times I try to tell it to fix these, the problem reappears after two or three scans. This is very irritating and concerning for me, as it possibly points to more serious problems which I would hopefully be able to rectify ASAP (before they become any more serious).

I don't really understand Windows, although from what Ccleaner is telling me, the programs in question obviously were not removed properly the first time around. I may not have been around when this happened, and it looks like it was a long time ago. Ccleaner tells me a load of letters and numbers, but these are unintelligible to me as they tell me nothing further.

I assume it also points to problems with the registry, although this is not something I have much knowledge of, and am not going to touch it unless absolutely necessary.

Would anybody be able to help with this problem please?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

TREAD VERY CAREFULLY and back-up your registry first
Issues Button
understanding the issues button
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thank you for your reply Mark

I know how to back up the registry, and luckily I have a USB key, so I have now done that.

#4 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:25 PM

Ok, Mark.

That has now been done.

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

Could be a bug in the new version.
You can get in touch with Mr.G., CCleaner developer, and post the problem here-
http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=8

Edited by CTH_Tom, 09 December 2007 - 03:51 PM.

X

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

I agree with CTH that asking the developers in their own forum is the way to go
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

The info in the link below on using registry cleaners may give you a clue to what is happening.
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t...egistry+cleaner
EXCERPTS FROM THE LINK ABOVE:
* If an application is installed and used only by one user, a registry cleaner run by another user will remove "invalid" entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and disable the application from working by the other user(s);
* If an application is installed by User #1, and used as well by User#2, the registry cleaner operation run by User#1 cannot remove the instances of the application created by User#2.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Will using Registry Cleaners speed-up my system and make it more reliable?
It will have no effect on system speed. There is an excellent chance it will make your system less reliable.
# So what should I do about the registry?
The best thing you can do is to enable System Restore and add to your Autostart applications a registry backup. Strongly recommended for this is ERUNT (freeware):
===============================================================================
Just a guess, but since you haven't determined what program the registry listings are for, it is possible that they are being
replaced by the program on reboot and that would explain why Ccleaner is finding them.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:12 AM

Ok, all. Thanks for your advice.

I will post this problem on the Ccleaner forums.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users