Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home firewall v Nortons version

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:16 PM

As XP has its own built in firewall I cannot use Nortons AV - I have to disable one or the other. Does anyone know which is the better version to run in this case?

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:26 PM

Windows' built-in firewall is better than nothing. I have no experience with Norton's firewall, except for some bad experiences with Norton's Security Suite, but I suspect that Norton's is better. From the way you've written your question, it's unclear whether you're speaking of Norton AV or Norton's firewall, but you must run both the anti-virus protection and the firewall.

#3 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 05:32 PM

My mistake, I meant Norton's firewall. I have allowed the Norton firewall to have priority over XP and disabled the XP firewall. I was just wondering which was the best program. I have the Norton Systemworks and their Firewall (both renewed recently) and I have had no problems with Norton in the past. Didn't know if XP might have the edge.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

Norton's firewall is much better than the windows one. The windows firewall only offers incoming protection while Norton's protects both incoming and outgoing. If you had unknowingly become infected with something that was "calling home" from your computer you would never know it with the windows firewall. The Norton's would ask you if you want this process to have access out of your computer and you would realize that something is wrong.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 silver threads

silver threads
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

Thank you for letting me know, I will keep Norton fired up now.

Silver threads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users