Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dsl Connection Seems To Drop Silently

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jasin

jasin

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

Hi folks,

I have a problem and would be grateful for any help.

My DSL connection seems to drop and immediately pick up again for no apparent reason, with no notification from Windows, but looking at the traffic in NetMeter, it just goes to 0.0 (both upload and download) suddenly. When browsing, this is barely noticeable (it's just a slight pause or at worst needing to refresh a half-loaded page), but larger downloads hang and need to be stopped and resumed. This happens every ten minutes or so, so it's difficult to download anything larger that doesn't allow stop & resume.

I've tried booting in safe mode with networking, and there the connection appears to work normally.

I've scanned the system with Spybot, Ad-Aware and Nod32 and didn't find anything.

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:27 AM

Hello jasin and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time your connection drops.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time of the connection drop right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

I will only add that DSL connections (IMO) tend to fluctuate somewhat, based on saturation of the coverage area.

Just as many ISPs had too many users for the equipment they had in service, the more users, the smaller the distribution of DSL service.

Something else to possibly consider: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1438940

Louis

#4 jasin

jasin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hello jasin and :trumpet: to Bleeping Computer.

Thanks. :flowers:

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time your connection drops.

No events at that time. :thumbsup:

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

Try restarting your modem.
  • Power off your computer.
  • Power off your router.
  • Power off your modem.
  • Wait a few minutes.
  • Power on your modem (wait until the modem is completely restarted before the next step, which may take a few minutes).
  • Power on your router (wait until the router is completely restarted before the next step, which may take a few minutes).
  • Power on your computer.
If you don't have a router skip those steps and move on to the next.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

This reminds me for my last ZTE modem. What I notice the connection is not stable. This happens mostly because the DSL connection throttled and getting the modem to disconnect or some sort. So this is for me happened for 2 reason:

a) DSL port from my ISP is giving a bad response, and yes ISP tech had to come and change the port to a new port.
b. My modem doesnt support speed that goes beyond 2Mb and the momment connection speed throttled the line went dead and redialed.

I sorted my problem by giving a call to the tech to change my DSL port from their side and getting myself a model 2+ ADSL modem. Hope this story may give you some idea to brighten up the situation. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#7 jasin

jasin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

Try restarting your modem.