Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Not Reading

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 StevieM

StevieM

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Hi

Following a virus on my pc that was cleared by the great people on this site, I updated my system protection. However this has caused a few system problems.

My dvd player does not read dvd's now nor will it allow its lightscribe function to work. Not being good on the internals of pc's and there drivers etc could someone please help me get it back on line.

Other errors are software related and will appear on other forums unless you think you can help?

thanks in advance

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:07 AM

First thing, you would want to determine who made the DVD player and go to their web site and search for Drivers or Firmware, as it is often called. Most places have instructions for updating the firmware.

To determine who made it, there is usually a label listing the manufacturer. You'll have to remove it to see that.

DR

#3 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

Ok with a lot of searching managed to find an updated Firmware which has worked enabling a dvd to play. Unfortunately the lightscribe function still does not work. I keep getting a message from my labelling software when I select to burn / lightscribe the label which says cannot communicate with the drive.

cheers
Steve

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:02 PM

Try this place:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers/philips-dvd-622/749

They are very helpful with firmware and region hacks.

DR

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

First thing, you would want to determine who made the DVD player and go to their web site and search for Drivers or Firmware, as it is often called. Most places have instructions for updating the firmware.

To determine who made it, there is usually a label listing the manufacturer. You'll have to remove it to see that.

DR

Just for future reference you can find out the make and model by downloading a free utility like SIW or Everest Home Edition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:40 AM

Hello again

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. My hardware is an LG GSA-4166B DVD/CD Rewriter with lightscribe. I have found the updated firmware and as I say the dvd function now works fine. The only action that still does not work is the lightscribe function, which as I say does not appear to communicate with the drive when burn label is selected.

Steve

#7 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Hello again

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. My hardware is an LG GSA-4166B DVD/CD Rewriter with lightscribe. I have found the updated firmware and as I say the dvd function now works fine. The only action that still does not work is the lightscribe function, which as I say does not appear to communicate with the drive when burn label is selected.

Steve

#8 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Hello again

Steve

#9 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

The following from http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DV...rch=Search&

Light scribe will not work out of the box, First you need to install the latest Lightscribe engine that you must download from www.LigthScribe.com. After I downloaded and installed this engine, Nero 6 (ver. 6.6.1.4) detected right away that my drive was lightscribe capable and I created and burned my a label in no time. I used Nero Cover Designer for this.

After further reviewing of www.LigthScribe.com site, I found and downloaded SureThing CD Labeler 4 SE. This application also relies on the LightScribe engine. Since this was already installed I did not had any problem using it. In LightScribe site there are free templates that you can use for new labels.

So, you might try downloading and reinstalling the software and see if that fixes it.

DR

#10 StevieM

StevieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

I have loaded the latest lightscribe operating system, still does not communicate with the drive. My Nero software shows lightscribe features and correctly identifies the drive to use but then the communicaton breaks down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users