Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hp Pavilion V Series Pc And Sleep Mode Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Private

Private

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:36 AM

I bought this pc a week ago but only noticed a couple of days ago that when the machine goes into sleep mode I cant wake it up properly. I thought that it was my wireless mouse at first so changed to the included non-usb one to see what would happen. Ok here is what is going on. The PC is a HP with a Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz CPU:0, has Japanese Vista Home Premium installed, 4gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS etc. When the PC goes into sleep mode and I try to wake it up, I get the display up just fine, but the mouse indicator is frozen. Sometimes I get that dreaded BSOD and when I try to boot up again it wont. I then have to go back into safe mode (F8) and choose the second alternative which I think reads something like this in English [abondon restore and reboot]. Having gone through that the pc boots up fine. Can somebody please suggest what the problem might be and how to solve it please. I have searched the web somewhat and have seen a post somewhere here that suggested that it may be connected to the graphics card. I have tested the graphics card out and there seems to be no problem there, and the drivers are the very latest.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:15 AM

Please post the BSOD information as it will help us to isolate the problem.

Where did you get the video drivers from? I generally avoid Windows Update and HP for video drivers - preferring to get them from (in this case) http://www.nVidia.com. Have you tried to roll the drivers back? Have you tried removing the old drivers completely, rebooting, and then installing the newly downloaded nVidia drivers?

Is this 32 bit or 64 bit Vista? 32 bit Vista doesn't recognize all 4 gB of RAM (I've got it on 2 systems at home). Although I haven't noticed any significant problems with it, I'm starting to wonder if there's any drawbacks to using too much RAM on these systems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:09 AM

Ok this is what I have now. The following shows on reboot after trying to recover from sleep when the mouse freezes.

[KERNAL-DATA-INPAGE-ERROR]

Technical information

***STOP: 0X0000007A ....etc

***dfsc.sys - address 90ADF218 base at 90AD9000, datestamp 4549acc8

==========================

It is the 32bit Vista version and 3.50gb of ram is showing in System as I was told it would at the pc shop where I bought it. The graphics card was already pre-installed.

It shows as follows NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS version 7.15.10.9752 as of 2006/12/13.

I have searched NVIDIA's Japanese home page and downloads and can find nothing newer than that.

I found this and was wondering whether I should or should not be installing this. I see that it supports NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS but wanted to check with you first.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_163.75.html (this is the English link. There is the same thing under their Japanese page as well)

Could any programs like Acronis True Image Home V10 have an effect? Also is it just quicker to turn off the sleep mode somewhere as at the moment the pc doesnt appear to be saving the page when it goes into sleep mode anyway? If I turn it off, then where and how do I do it please?

Thanks so very much for your help.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:24 AM

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7a

This error can point to hardware, driver, or software issues. Since it's associated with sleep and the mouse freezing, I'd first suspect the video drivers. The link you posted is the correct link for 32 bit Vista video drivers and will work on your system. BUT, first uninstall the old nVidia drivers in Control Panel and reboot - that'll ensure that most of the "crud" from the older drivers is removed from the system.

It's possible that Acronis (and other programs) could have an affect - but it's not as likely as a hardware/driver issue. In particular, Acronis is well tested before release to ensure that problems don't crop up.

Sleep Mode saves your current system in the memory (RAM) when you put it into sleep. IMO the different power/sleep states are getting too confusing now. The CPU manufacturer's have their versions of sleep, the BIOS manufacturers have their versions, and Windows has it's versions. To turn it off you'll have to go to Power Options in Control Panel.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

Usasma, many thanks indeed for all this info. Kick myself for not having search for the BSOD info instead of making somebody esle have to do it. Hopefully, will remember next time.

You mentioned before about too much ram. Well this pc came with only 1gb so maybe going to 4gb was too much. I can take 1gb out for another pc here. I will give the video driver a go and see. Thanks also for the warning. Since this machine is just over a week old - first week I didnt have time to play with it due to other commitments, I believe that the pc shop is also responsible for fixing this or giving me a new pc that works. Anyway, now to the graphics.

Thanks so very much.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

In general the warranty on HP's is 1 year for hardware problems - but beware of that because it's a bit tricky depending on who you're dealing with.

One repair center that I know will replace your hard drive under warranty - then will charge you to reinstall the OS.
Another will replace the hard drive under warranty - and doesn't charge for the OS reinstall. Go figure!

The thing about 4 gB of RAM is just speculation on my part. I don't have any hard evidence for how this may (or may not) affect the system. I've got 2 systems with it - and once I can get a reproducible error on them, I'll try it with and without the RAM. Most of my speculations revolve around only 3.26 gB of RAM being detected when 4 gB is installed - and I've only read one KB article that deals with it.

Here's some links:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888575
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry602330

#7 Private

Private
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

You'll be pleased to know that a friend took the pc back to the shop where we bought it from and they replaced the whole tower. Seems that it was a bad "system". Whatever that meant. Still in the process of reinstalling everything, but sleep mode certainly does work at this point. I will let the video driver go as is for the time being. However, should I have any problem whatever I will be replacing them first.

Many thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users