Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Reports "insufficient Space" And "unspecified Error Occurred"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RDN

RDN

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:15 AM

Some files on my hard disk got corrupted when my PC froze while I was downloading them. I tried everything I could think of to get control of the PC, but in the end I had to power it off. The PC is running XP Pro (all updates applied).

The corrupt files are on a 186 Gb USB drive connected to my Acer laptop. If I try to access them, the blue LED on the front of the drive starts to flash, (I think that means the drive is no longer "ready") and all subsequent accesses by Explorer show the drive as completely empty, but after rebooting the PC, all the data reappears.

I ran chkdsk to see if it could fix the problem, but it said there was insufficient space and exited with "an unspecified error". (?)

So I freed up 35 Gb of space and ran chkdsk again. This is the report generated:

C:\>chkdsk G: /R
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is D/l, MultiMedia, Master.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 1296 of name .

An unspecified error occurred.

C:\>

So again, I got the "unspecified error" even though there was 35 Gb of free space. I can't believe chkdsk needs more!

What I have done is to rename the folder containing the bad files "Bad Sectors" to remind myself to leave them alone. In the past, I deleted the files, but when new files were copied to the disk, I got the same problem with the flashing drive LED, so I assumed that the files were written over the bad part of the disk.

So, is there anything I can do to remove this corruption? Is there anyway I can get XP to not use this part of the hard disk?

I'll be getting another 200 Gb drive soon, so I was thinking of copying all the good stuff onto it, and then reformatting the bad drive to make it "normal".

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Windows XP Pro (fully updated), Firefox 1.0.7, Acer Travelmate 4603WLMi: Intel Pentium M 750, 768 MB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express 128 MB VRAM, DVD, Bluetooth.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:08 AM

I'd try defragging the drive, then trying chkdsk again.
I'd also visit the website of the manufacturer of this drive and download their diagnostic tools. This will give you a better idea of exactly what's wrong here.

This part of the error message is a concern:

If there's no filename, then how can it replace/repair them?

It could be a bad portion of the disk, or it could be malware. In either case, I'd save the data to another drive (and scan it for viruses just to be sure) - then use the repair tools offered by the manufacturer of the drive to reset the drive to factory new condition (if possible).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RDN

RDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:55 AM

I'd try defragging the drive, then trying chkdsk again.
I'd also visit the website of the manufacturer of this drive and download their diagnostic tools. This will give you a better idea of exactly what's wrong here.

This part of the error message is a concern:

If there's no filename, then how can it replace/repair them?

It could be a bad portion of the disk, or it could be malware. In either case, I'd save the data to another drive (and scan it for viruses just to be sure) - then use the repair tools offered by the manufacturer of the drive to reset the drive to factory new condition (if possible).

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded and ran Seagate's "SEAtools for Windows" and it wasn't a lot of help unfortunately. It merely confirmed that there was a problem with the drive. I ran the "Short Generic" test and the drive passed. But it failed the "Long Generic" test. It gave no other information about the failure. My other 80 Gb drive passed both. I can't see any other diagnostics that this tool can do.

So I'll be buying a new drive tomorrow, copy everything I can over to it and then try defragmenting or formatting the bad drive.

Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:
Windows XP Pro (fully updated), Firefox 1.0.7, Acer Travelmate 4603WLMi: Intel Pentium M 750, 768 MB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express 128 MB VRAM, DVD, Bluetooth.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:06 AM

The short or quick test is just that - it's designed to be quick so that you won't wait all day for the results. Often a disk will pass the short test and will be found to be bad on the long (or full) test. IME this indicates that the drive is on the way out - but hasn't fully failed yet. An immediate backup is called for because you don't know just when it's gonna die.

The tests provide a lot of information - but the most valuable thing is that it provides a Pass/Fail on the drive. There's not much that we can do (without spending gobs of money) to fix the smaller errors that do occur. And, since a backup and a new drive will cost less than most repairs - it's an economically sound decision to replace the drive

Edited by usasma, 09 December 2007 - 09:06 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 trodas

trodas

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

I do wonder if there is a chkdsk alternative that does NOT try to save the data on HDD, to surpass the nasty problem of "not having enought space" to save the data... :thumbsup:

I freed about 70G on 160G drive and it still does report "not enought space". It is getting VERY irritating.

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
"I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway :) my config

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

The last phase of running chkdsk /r...consists of a hard drive space correction.

If you've freed 70GB, it will show up then.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

There is something seriously wrong with your drive. You may want to save what you can and use manufacturer's utilities to see if you can revive it. Something akin to the "low-level format" or re-initialization of the disk. Another option would be SpinRite by Gibson Research - but that's about $70 out of your pocket.

#8 Sullypa

Sullypa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

I had the BSOD in Windows XP, ran chkdsk, got the same message as above.

Right clicked the c: drive, selected properties, then tools.

Ran disk cleanup (in Windows tools), deleting all: recycle bin, cookies and temp files.

Unclicked the disk index option (in windows tools)

Reran chkdsk, disk was fixed and is now clean.

Hope this works for some of you. Saves a lot of time, money reimaging and/or new hard drive.

Good Luck!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users