Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Has Stopped Responding

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:30 AM

Hi, my graphics card crashes alot when I play games, and I am not sure why. When this happens, my screen goes blank and loses signal from my PC, and then when it comes back up, a pop-up message says "display driver has stopped responding". At first I thought it had only been a game issue, I was playing 9Dragons at the time. I recently got Unreal Tournament 3 and it happened again. I lost my disc to my graphics card, and it is an NVidia GeForce 7600 GS.

I have tried updating the new drivers but it did not help.

Thank you for your answers.

EDIT: I am running Windows Vista with 32-bit (if that matters)

Edited by TelMeDragon, 08 December 2007 - 02:32 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:51 AM

How much RAM do you have, and how big is your PSU?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:58 AM

My ram is 2GB (4x512) I upgraded it from 1GB and made sure it was compatible and such. How do i check out my PSU?

Edited by TelMeDragon, 08 December 2007 - 03:17 AM.

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:28 AM

You may have to open the case and look to see what make and model you have and then google it to see what the wattage is. If my information is correct that is a AGP graphics card which indicates that this is a older computer. It is suggested that this graphics card be supported with at least a 300W PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:35 AM

I bought this computer in June, Dell Dimension E521

According to Dell
http://www.dell.com/content/products/produ...p;~tab=specstab

This PSU is 305 watts?

Edited by TelMeDragon, 08 December 2007 - 03:44 AM.

Posted Image

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:52 AM

That PSU is 305W which could be pushing it for that GPU.

#7 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:07 AM

There's a pushing it?? oh wow T__T, what do you suggest i do?
Posted Image

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:57 AM

If this is only happening when you put a load on it like playing your game then that PSU may not be powerful enough for that card. The PSUs that Dell uses are not what I would call quality. If you are going to purchase a larger PSU remember that that is a BTX form factor PSU.

#9 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

Yes it is only happening when i do that. I guess i will try to purchase a larger one, and can you explain your last sentence wtih "BTX Form factor PSU"?

Can you also tell me how i can find how out the amount of PSU i need?

Edited by TelMeDragon, 08 December 2007 - 09:48 AM.

Posted Image

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

This might help re BTX: http://www.btxformfactor.com/

And this might help re figuring out PS requirements: Power Supply Calculator - http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Power Supply Fundamentals & Recommendations silentpcreview.com - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

Louis

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

ATX is a standard adopted by the industry to establish a uniform location of rear connections, the size of the motherboard, the PSU connector, the size of the peripheral devices that are installed in the different bays, and more than I will list here. There are some subcategories of the ATX like micro ATX, mini ATX, flex ATX, and BTX.

As for how big of a PSU to purchase, I would go with a 400W-500w PSU, that way you will have enough power for the GPU and have room to expand in need be. Most PSU calculators are good on average at best as the technology changes so fast and the power requirements with newer computers are requiring more power.

Newegg has these two, either would be fine for your application.

#12 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:11 PM

Thank you for all of you replies

One last question at dc3, are those two as if they were new?? I would like to go buy it outside at Fry's or something rather than order it.
Posted Image

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:21 PM

I'm not sure that I understand your question, are you asking if the PSUs are new? Yes. You can purchase them any place that you can find them. Because BTX is not nearly as common as ATX PSUs it will be harder to find with less choices, this is why I went to the trouble to see what I could find from a reputable vendor. Just be sure that you get a a BTX PSU.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Thank you for all of you replies

One last question at dc3, are those two as if they were new?? I would like to go buy it outside at Fry's or something rather than order it.

I understand your confusion. Those are new. I don't know why Newegg words it that way
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

Sorry fo rthe confusion but i meant as in if i were to go to a store and buy one would it be the same price, i'm a little empty in the pocket right now so i just wanted to clarify.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users