Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Using Windows Media Player To Stream To Ps3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tbhandari

tbhandari

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

I'm following the steps from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...sharemedia.aspx

But when I get to the part, "Choose Which Devices to Share Your Media With", nothing shows up in the list of devices. Not sure what's up. I had to put my PS3 into a DMZ on my network (anything else kept resulting in dropped connections), but my laptop isn't. I can check the Netgear router (Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 Wireless Router), and see that both my laptop (Windows XP SP2 with all latest patches, Windows Media Player 11, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security) and the PS3 are connected to the network, but I can't get the laptop to see the PS3. Is it something with a the router settings? I don't think it's Trend Micro because I even tried turning it off and that didn't help. Is it a Windows XP setting? Thanks in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

OK. I'm making some headway with this. I think I needed to turn on UPnP on both the router and the PS3. So the router sees UPnP working fine on the PS3, but it's not picking it up on my laptop. I installed the component and turned on UPnP on my laptop, but then the laptop only sees the router, and the router only sees the PS3. But I still can't get the laptop to see the PS3. Is it because the PS3 is in a DMZ? What services need to be on for me to properly setup my laptop as a media server to stream content to my PS3?

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

At the link you gave in your first post here, the PS3 does not appear to be listed in the "Windows Media Player FAQ" under the question: "Which networked devices are compatible with media sharing?"

Additionally, the PS3 does not appear in the (long) device list at the "PlayForSure" site referenced in the answer to that question, nor is Sony listed as one of the "supported" device manufacturers in the "refined search" at that site.

EDIT -- Additional Information:

This may be better news. The following is the second search result I found using Google to search for "windows media player 11 sharing with ps3":

"HOW TO: Media Sharing between PS3 and WMP11 (Windows Media Player 11) PC":

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstatio...thread.id=47608

Other search results may also provide help.

Edited by M..., 08 December 2007 - 05:30 PM.

#4 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I tried a bunch of google searches to find out what my problem is, but no one seems to be experiencing the same issue. I just can't get WMP to see the PS3 (not even as an "Unknown Device"). Something's blocking it, and I can't seem to tell if it's on the router side or XP side. I wonder if it's a services issue on XP???

#5 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:47 PM

In your router's firewall, have you opened up the required ports?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ring.mspx#q20_7

EDIT: Also, see the question just above that one: "What are the network requirements?"

Edited by M..., 08 December 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#6 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:46 PM

Damnit!!!! Nope still not working. I totally thought it was going to be the closed ports issue, but I guess not. Now I'm starting to think it might be UPnP not working properly on the laptop. I setup UPnP on the PS3, and the router sees that it's operating properly, but it's not seeing UPnP working on the laptop. What all do I need to do in order to get UPnP working properly on the laptop?

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

Ensure that UPnP is enabled in the BIOS,
then ensure that it's started as a service in Windows (go to Start...Run...and type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter).
Scroll down to the Universal PnP service and right click on it and select "Start". Don't forget (if it works) to go in and have it start Manually or Automatically when the system boots - so it's available when you need it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I think that's what I tried to get it running, but the laptop still isn't seeing the PS3. Hmmmm.... Actually, I don't think I've rebooted the router since making all these port and UPnP changes. Let me try that and see if it helps.

#9 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:56 AM

SWEEEEET!!!! It works now. I rebooted the modem and the router, then turned on the laptop, opened WMP, and it saw the PS3. FINALLY!!! Thanks to everyone for your help/suggestions!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users