Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer updates will not install

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dino

dino

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

I recently downloaded the internet explorer up dates and tried to install them several times. I emptied my temp folders and closed all applications before trying the instalation. The instalation makes it to 93% then gives me a "close all applications and try running instalation again" window.

I also tried to install the new msn updates, but I run into the same problem. The only thing I could find on the Microsoft web site is that my internet browser files may be corrupt.... how would I find out and how would I fix it?

Thanks

Jack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:36 PM

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove programs and look for Internet Explorer. If its there highlight it and click remove. This will bring up a box that says add a component and also repair Internet Explorer. Choose repair.

You can also go to Start Programs Accesories>System Tools>System Information and in the Tools menu you will see Internet Explorer Repair Tool.

Post back and let us know if that helps.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:52 PM

I don't have intenet explorer in the add remove window neither do I have a fix internet explorer in the system information tools menu. You may have found the problem.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

What version do you have? Look in IE in Help>About Internet Explorer

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 07:50 AM

I'm running IE 5.50 (5.50.4134.0100) and I,m trying to install 6.0 and msn 6.0.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:27 AM

Thats unusual that you don't have the fix option for IE. What is your operating system? I've run into situations where IE hangs during the install but when you reboot sometimes it wants to start again and it will eventually finish.

There is another way to do this. You can download IE to your hard drive and install it from there. This site has instructions.

I notice you cleaned your temp files before trying this. I like Ccleaner for that. Have you done a Scandisk and Defrag lately?

#7 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the help Leurgy.

I have downloaded the upgrades 3 times now on dial up.....

Its the instalation that I'm having problems with. It makes it to 93% instaled and them it gives me .... instalation incomplete, close all applications and run install again.

Instalation must have removed IE from the install/uninstall menu. The only place Internet Explorer shows up is on my desk top and under C:programs<Internet Explorer. Now this is the catch (I believe): Windows will not let me delete internet explorer (access denied). So when I go into the internet explorer file I can delete everything but Connection Wizard. But when I go into connection wizard I can delete everything. However windows will not run ... I have to do a system restore. It seems as though windows is using drivers in conection wizard thus causing the close all appications error????? Windows will not let me rename, delete or move the folder.

Everyone seems to be stumped on this one.

Well let me know what ya think. I know a hard drive format and reload will solve the problem but that takes alot of time.

Thanks
Jack

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 05:25 PM

Well, you don't need to format you can run Windows setup and install over the top. If you go that route you will need to go to Windows Update and download the updates again. That might help. You can't remove IE from Windows as it is too deeply imbedded and shares too many files with the OS.

#9 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

Hi Thanks again

I followed your instructions "2aT" and I ran into the same error at 93% intalled again. :thumbsup:

Any other suggestions?

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:40 PM

Have you tried running System File Checker. Put your OS CD in the drive and go to Start>Run and type in sfc. This will replace any corrupted files. Perhaps that is what is causing it to stall.

Have a look here for some ideas from MS.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 February 2005 - 05:23 PM.

#11 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:43 PM

bad news....lol

I tried to overwrite windows from my os disk and it changed nothing so I tried to uninstal windows me and access was denied. My os disk does not respond to the sfc command. So I went to the microsoft link and followed the instructions. The following files could not be renamed :actxprxy.dll
urlmon.dll, wininet.dll, and wintrust.dll. Therefore, the instalation failed. I had to back track an undo everything that I done (registry modifications). But now my computer will only start in safe mode.

If I find the solution , I'll post it.

#12 dino

dino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:16 AM

I finally got it! :thumbsup:

Here is what worked for me.

I reinstalled firewall, Norton Antivirus 2005 and undone everything that microsoft asked me to do on the link above. Basically started over.

I reinstalled IE 5.5. Then I went to windows update web site and downloaded just the IE 5.5 upgrades. I rebooted the computer several times as directed. Next I shut down norton and the firewall and installed IE6.0. And it worked :flowers:

Why it didn't work all the other times is beyond me.

Thanks again for the help.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

Hi dino, thanks for posting back with the solution.

I wonder if Norton was doing something to stop the upgrade. I've seen some other posts where people have issues with the installation of that program but I don't use Norton and the more I hear about it the more I want to stay away from it.

Glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users