Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 asian-empress

asian-empress

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:24 PM

My CPU goes up to 100% by the time I turn on my comp, and the one thing that takes up the majority of CPU is svchost.exe. I've tried stopping some of these services, but it doesn't do anything.

How should I fix this? I included a couple screenshots of the svchost.exe and the services that are running under it.

Windows Task Manager
Posted Image

Services under svchost.exe
Posted Image

Thank you in advance guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:21 AM

In my Vista installation I also have the hidserv and the CscService running under this instance of svchost.exe. Your hidserv appears to be stopped, so it won't show in the list (I think).

Most problems on the web refer to either malware or Windows Update issues - but they don't give any details about which svchost.exe process the high consumption is in. I did find a few references to driver issues (particularly Lexmark and nVidia drivers) - which seems more akin to your issues than the more common solutions.

I guess that I'd go into the Services snap-in for MMC (go to Start, type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) and disable the services listed (one at a time) and then test to see if it resolves the issue. If not, then try the next one, etc, etc, etc. That will point you to which service is causing the issue and may lead to a fix.

Also, try checking your Event Viewer (Go to Start, type in "eventvwr.msc" and press Enter, expand the "Windows logs" category and check both the System and Application logs) for errors.

You can also take a peek at the Reliability Monitor. Go to Start and type in "reliability" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click on the Reliability Monitor in the left hand pane to view it.

What you'd be looking for in the Event Viewer and Reliability Monitor are errors related to the services that run under that particular svchost.exe.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 asian-empress

asian-empress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

I guess that I'd go into the Services snap-in for MMC (go to Start, type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) and disable the services listed (one at a time) and then test to see if it resolves the issue. If not, then try the next one, etc, etc, etc. That will point you to which service is causing the issue and may lead to a fix.

I'm going through your reply one by one. :D Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm looking through the services, and was wondering if some of the services were really needed? Like: Windows Driver Foundation, Portable Device Enumerator Service, Diagnostic System Host, Distributed Link Tracking Client, Netman

Edited by asian-empress, 08 December 2007 - 01:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users