Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Old Computer Linux Network Planning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 david575

david575

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

1 System target: computer shop with cyber cafe, free multimedia interactive business education courses, Surf & Dine Combinations
2 System target: Garment factory, supply garment, accessories: hats, shirt, jacket to the computer shop

1 System
The flow:

2 System
The flow:
Purchase material
Production
Transportation

Define data
1 System
The flow:

2 System
The flow:
Purchase material: material data
Production: design data; manufacture data
Transportation: goods data; invoice data

3 Define information structure
U
C

What's the system function?

Performance requirements: storage limit, time limit, speed limit, security, etc

System environment and resources requirements?

Reliability requirements?

Security requirements?

User interface requirements?

Cost and development requirements?

Extend requirements?

There are many cheap used computers.

I can purchase more RAM.

I can not run photoshop or illustrator on Linux.

I either need more powerful machines each with large disks, or to run them as thin client machines from a very powerful server?

Drives under about 80 GB are useless for my purposes?

a server, which can be used internally with Samba service for Windows, this can be set up as a domain controller to control network security. I then use this as a file server, a less powerful machine with Linux can act as a firewall and router with internet access, it could serve less serious files giving access to external machines if ever required. I will need some Windows machines for Photoshop and Illustrator, these need to also be powerful, as both these are heavy on resources. For the rest of the network Ubuntu may be a good option due to memory limitations, anything under 64M is now useless. All the workstations can have internet access this way if required. The thin client server machine will need quite a lot of disk space, as it will require different OS images for each machine since each will have different hardware. It also needs plenty of ram.

I can find many 32 MB RAM, can I provide multimedia interactive business education courses in 64 MB RAM Slackware Linux computer? Some can be 4 DIMM, 128 MB RAM.

(Linux Mint XFCE or Xubuntu or Fluxbuntu.) Either way, I will need more RAM to really get the performance out of the PIII processors. I will need a consistent computing environment over all of the machines?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users