Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Host computer connectivity problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 onekgguy

onekgguy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:18 PM

I don't know that I'd necessarily call it a host computer but it's the computer which we run our wireless router off of. We don't have the computers networked. We have two other laptops which are able to connect online but our desktop is not. This just began today after working fine yesterday. I've swapped wires between the connections and it doesn't appear there is a faulty wire.

I went to Network Connections, clicked on it and got a new page with the network icon and a message associated with it saying 'limited or no connectivity'. I tried to repair the connection with the Repair Local Area Connection option but it failed. I tried the other repair prompts in xp but none of them have helped.

Does this problem sound at all familiar and do you have any suggestions? At this point I'm beginning to think it may be a hardware issue. Thanks.

Kevin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 24 February 2005 - 12:13 AM

Are you using dhcp on the computers? Is the computer having problems using wireless or wired?

#3 onekgguy

onekgguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 04:17 AM

Are you using dhcp on the computers?  Is the computer having problems using wireless or wired?

I don't think so. The computer having the problem is our desktop computer which is not wireless. I have the router running off of it. The laptops and desktop are not networked. Both laptops are able to access the internet. Everything had been working fine for the past 18 months with the configuration we have. It just began acting up a couple days ago. I had installed a couple programs, Spyware Blaster and MS beta antispyware programs a couple days earlier. They all checked out fine though and the system was online after the programs were running. I tried a system restore taking me back to a time after the latest programs were installed when the computer was able to access the internet but it didn't fix it. I also tried uninstalling my network card through the device manager thinking it was possibly corrupted. I rebooted and the new hardware was found but it didn't help. I'm out of ideas at this point.

I could try a system restore to an earlier time before the two spyware programs were installed if you think that may help. Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by onekgguy, 24 February 2005 - 04:18 AM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,616 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:44 AM

So let me make sure i got this right. You have a wireless router with a built in hub. You have your desktop plugged directly to the router and the other two computers are using wireless?

What os is the desktop? Is it getting an ip address?

#5 onekgguy

onekgguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

Yes, the desktop is hard wired into the cable and the laptops are both wireless. All systems are using xp. I've done the repair prompt where it tries to change the ip but it fails.

Kevin

#6 onekgguy

onekgguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'm not sure why but my daughter just fired up the desk top computer again and she's back online. Any ideas...hardware, software?

Kevin

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,616 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:13 PM

No idea what happened here.. maybe we should count our blessings and be happy it worked. Its hard to diagnose the problem when its working...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users