Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:42 PM

This is sooo embarrassing. :huh:

I periodically accidentally delete and replace my recycle bin, so it's normally not too big a deal. But the other day I cleverly logged on as the System Administrator and found a way to keep all accounts from making changes to display settings, thinking that would keep me from deleting the bin. It didn't. :huh:

Display Settings

Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings Control Panel.

But now I forget how the Sys Admin (said Dialer, pretending she's not also the Sys Admin) changed the permission so I can reenable it.

Can anyone help me, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:43 AM

Hi Dialer.....you can be a bit dangerous around your PC......LOL. But seriously go to run>cmd and type gpedit.msc then go down to user config admin templates and you should find what you are looking for.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

Hey Monty, thanks for replying. :huh:

Hi Dialer.....you can be a bit dangerous around your PC......LOL.

You should see how my computer quivers and shakes whenever I'm anywhere near it. :huh: What can I say? I'm a tweaker. :huh:

Anyway, maybe I should have said that I'm on Vista Home Premium. It looks as though gpedit.msc must be available only on earlier OSes, 'cause neither I nor Sys Admin can find it anywhere. Sys Admin tried all kinds of searches (including nonindexed, hidden, and system files, as well as Help). It's not like this is a horrendous error, but given that I tend to delete my recycle bin, you can imagine that I also occasionally delete files that I want to restore. I've found a right-click "undo delete" option, but I'd prefer being able to open the bin to see what's there.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

Sorry my fault, it was getting a bit late, in Vista go to start search then type cmd and then gpedit.msc

Edited by Monty007, 08 December 2007 - 05:17 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#5 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

No, not your fault. I know you keep odd hours down there in Oz. ;)

Anyway, the truth is that the file really isn't there. I finally figured out that "gp" stood for "group policy," so I tried running it through the control panel. Got an error message that gave the pathname (ending at the System32 folder) and said the file either wasn't there or was corrupt, or something along those lines. So I went into the folder, and sure enough, it isn't there. the gpedit.dll file is, but no .exe file.

My next step was to see if I could reinstall it using the F8 repair option with the DVD, but apparently that only deals with making startup repairs. Then I did a search on the DVD to see if I could find it or find some way of extracting it. I came up with these two files, both of which I copied to my desktop: GROUPPOLICY-ADMIN-GPEDIT-DL and GROUPPOLICY-ADMIN-GPEDIT-SNAPIN-DL. Do you know if it's possible to extract the .exe file from either one of them?

If not, I guess I'll have to contact MS to see if they can send me a copy of the file or tell me how to extract it from the DVD. Sigh. :huh:

Edited by Dialer, 08 December 2007 - 06:32 PM.

#6 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hello Dialer,

I think you'll find other references to this -- evidently, the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) is available only in certain versions of Vista:

http://www.tabletquestions.com/windows-vis...icy-editor.html

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

I have no idea how you did it, but you must have disabled making changes to the display settings in some other way.

#7 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

Dialer,

Someone else (using Vista Home Basic) encountered the same problem (manifestation) and it was solved by using System Restore to go back to a point before the problem appeared:

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-vista-all...-no-access.html

#8 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

Hello M...

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out those links.

Meanwhile, I've found a temporary solution to my recycle bin problem. While looking at the restore options (hoping that I backed up the registry and other files recently enough not to undo too many other changes I've made), I ran across an option to "See recently deleted files (Recycle Bin)" from the recycle bin. When I clicked it, up came a window with a bin folder in the left pane and some of my deleted files in the right pane. (Alas, gpedit.exe wasn't in there.) I made a shortcut to the folder, put it on my desktop, and it works just like the real one except that the icon doesn't change to show empty or full! :huh:

But of course that still doesn't obviate my need for the ability to work in the Display Settings Control Panel. Hmmmm. I wonder if I should start a separate thread about this with a new subject line, since it's now evident that's what the problem is, not my destruction of the recycle bin. But I'll look at those links, first.

ETA: I made this post before I saw your second one. Thanks again! :huh:

Edited by Dialer, 08 December 2007 - 08:24 PM.

#9 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:22 PM

Those were excellent links, M... Thanks so very much!

Now I know not to waste my time trying to weasel a gpedit.exe file out of MS. So I'll just concentrate on system and registry backups or restore points. If I'm really lucky, maybe it'll just be a registry backup restore. But to be on the safe side, I copied a lot of my data files to my external HD.

Will post back with my results.

#10 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:48 PM

Found a registry backup from yesterday afternoon, restored it, and ... :huh: B) I am so relieved I didn't have to use a restore point.

The only bad result from that was McAfee's telling me I had to reinstall. Phooey on that. I did a very long updates download (I'm on slow dialup), and ... B)

What I don't get is why MS included an option that they knew wasn't going to work. Jerks. :) :huh: :huh: B) :huh:

Thanks so very much for all your help, Monty and M...

<Dialer wanders off to see what else she can break.....>

#11 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:50 AM

Now no deleating any more reycled bins dialer......I thought gpedit came with home premium but after I ran it in my VM no go so we never stop learning.......well sometimes.
MCP
MSDST

#12 Dialer

Dialer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:41 AM

<<<<<< my penance, a renamed recycle bin. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic