Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Remove Earthlink Setup Files From Add/remove List

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

hi. i'm trying to remove Earthlink Setup Files from the add/remove list on windows xp.
it came preinstalled on both of my Dell computers and i believe it's unnecessary.
when i try to uninstall i got the message: Internal error 2753. Putkey.exe :thumbsup:

i did a file search for putkey.exe and it produced no results. i may have deleted the folder if it was in
the progam files folder at one point.

any help would be great

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

A search for putkey.exe turned up the following:

putkey.exe has a file size of 24,576 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory "EarthLink TotalAccess" with a creation date of December 26, 2002. This is not a known spyware, adware, or trojan executable.

#3 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Try attached file.
Sorry for the .zip.
Couldn't attach it otherwise.

edit-- From Kellys Korner

Edited by medab1, 07 December 2007 - 10:35 PM.

#4 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:39 PM

i tried your progam killbox, but it does not find putkey.exe
i could not find putkey.exe anywhere when conducting a search.

also when it's undergoing removal/uninstall, it's gets about 3/4 of the way through

a pop up says of course: Internal error 2753. Putkey.exe
Posted Image

followed by a second pop up that says: Fatal error during installation.
Posted Image

i clicked the links under support information and they bring me to Earthlink's websites.
Posted Image

does anyone have any ideas how to remove this listing under add/remove list?
i don't even think earthlink is installed on this computer.

#5 Dialer

Dialer

• Members
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 01:24 AM

Hi heavyjavadrinker,

i may have deleted the folder if it was in the progam files folder at one point.

Have you tried reinstalling the Earthlink files from the CD/DVD that came with your computer? If not, do that and then try uninstalling them again, using the uninstall.exe (or whatever name they use) file that is most likely included in the Earthlink folder. If there is none, then try using Add/Remove. Reinstalling then uninstalling should clear everything that's Earthlink related from your computer.

You probably already know this, but I can't tell from what you wrote, so I'll also just mention that you can't simply delete a program that's been installed and expect that all traces of it will disappear. You have to uninstall it. Also, by deleting program folders, you could be disrupting your system because of the way that many programs share system files.

I don't even think earthlink is installed on this computer.

Apparently some aspect of Earthlink was installed, or the setup files wouldn't be showing up in Add/Remove.

Hope this helps.

#6 heavyjavadrinker

heavyjavadrinker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

i figured it out! :thumbsup:

it took me an entire Eagles football game :flowers: (and Dallas cowboys loss) but i managed to remove the entry.

i went to the Earthlink support page and clicked on live chat help and asked someone there
for the same setup file "Earthlink Version 2005.1.47.0" and they gave me a link to download
the file. i was going to install it, so that i could remove it. well, it was an updated version 2005.2.118.0
and it left the old entry in the add/remove list. so i uninstalled the new version and reconnected
with their live chat help. the second person informed me that the old version was no longer
available. so i told them the problem i was having and they sent me a link to download
Windows Install Clean Up.

This was the only way to remove it!

i'd almost given up, because i'd tried everything else, including CCCleaner to rename it and delete it.

but hey it's gone! problem solved!

Windows Install Clean Up is a tiny little program and will remove an entry from the Add/Remove list
even if you have deleted the program files first like i may have done.

thanks for all the help here on this post.

:trumpet:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Glad it worked. That's usually the first thing I recommend when there's a problem with uninstalling something
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users