Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Slower Slowest

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 didleyde

didleyde

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hey there...I've been here quite a few times and love the site as you all help me out...however...I can't seem to figure out why my machine runs so slow at times....I think I need a thorough cleaning and would appreciate your help in doing so....please guide me in the steps I have to take to do this....

Thanks in advance...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

Hello didleyde
First I will be moving your post to this forum for better assistance
AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods
Please read the topic here. Always feel free to ask any further questions.
Slow Computer?, Use this troubleshooting checklist

Now we could use some more info:
What is your Operating System?
Size and how full is the Hard drive?
How much RAM is installed?
Antivirus,Antispyware and Firewall applications?
When was the last scan?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

Check for any unnecessary running services. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic"; that is, they start automatically when the system starts or when the service is called for the first time. Use "Black Viper's Services Configuration" to help fine tune this area.
Note: If you are not on a local area network (LAN), disable the Workstation Service which creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers and that should also help to speed up your boot time.

Disable some visual effects. While visual embellishments may be attractive, they donít do anything else for you. Disabling some of them frees up system resources and makes the operating system perform better.
  • Right click My Computer, choose > Properties > Advanced, click on "Settings"
  • In the Visual Effects tab, select Adjust for best performance or uncheck all the visual effects, except for the last three.
  • Click "Apply", then "Ok", then "Ok" again.
  • Then right click your Desktop and choose > Properties > Appearance > "Effects.
  • Uncheck the first two boxes and hit "OK".

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 didleyde

didleyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

seems to be running much faster now...thank you for your help!!! :thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:20 PM

You're welcome. Did you have a lot of Spyware,virus's or mostly clutter. What OS did you have?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 didleyde

didleyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

it seems mostly clutter....and still need to get rid of a few things...it seems i have way too many spyware apps on here that i wasn't aware of .... pls tell me which one to keep...

spybot
spyware blaster
xoftspy

my OS is actually an intel 'emachine' and using XP....

if there is anything else you suggest I do for a better performance...please let me know...

thanks again

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

IMO, you don't have enough protection.

XoftSpy is a program that was previously listed as a rogue product on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products List because of concerns with False positives, questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising, including exploitation of the name "Spybot". It has since been delisted but in my opinion it is not a very effective program compared to others with a proven track those mentioned in BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources or one of the other Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products.

You can also read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. You may have done some of these things in the other checklist but there are a few more suggestions that may help.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 didleyde

didleyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:05 AM

Got rid of xoft spy....

the other things i have on are atf cleaner
windows defender
and rogers (our cable co) protection

completed a disk clean up as well....

hope that clears up some space....

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

I am also on Rogers and it comes with Norton Internet Protection; anti virus, anti spyware, firewall. In addition to that, I have Spyware Blaster for real time protection and AVG Anti Spyware & Super Anti Spyware as on demand scanners. Spybot simply isn't as effective as it once was so I'm not interested in it. I also use CCleaner to automatically clean out cookies and temp junk files. You don't need another firewall or anti virus but more on demand spyware scanners are useful.

#10 didleyde

didleyde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Very useful info...thanks and will keep that in mind.... :thumbsup:

#11 Silent Gamer

Silent Gamer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:05 AM

I'll keep that in mind too!

void main()
{printf(" HelloWorld \n"):
getch();}

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2007 - 04:43 AM

Also you could try a Disk Defragment that usually helps spped up my computer a bit.

Edited by david.graziani, 13 December 2007 - 04:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users