Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound After Xp Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:17 PM

Hello All
I bought a used Gateway Profile 4 with Windows 2000 Pro installed. I decided to upgrade to xp. After a clean install I have no sound. When I go to Sounds and Audio Devices in the xp control panel on the volume tab it says No Audio Device and all options on this tab are gray.In the Audio tab under sound playback it says that my default device is Modem#0 Line Playback. This is in the drop down box and it is the only entry. The volume and advanced buttons are gray. In the hardware tab my devices all say that they are working when I click on properties. Unimodem half-duplex Audio Device is listed as the first sound device then audio codecs legacy drivers media control vidio codecs all say working properly. The sound was working fine when I stared the clean install so I am sure that the speakers work fine. When I go to the Device Manager every thing is good except one listing under other devices. It has a yellow ? mark. Multimedia Audio Controller. Properties General Tab say device type other devices. Manufacter Unknown. Location: PCI bus,device31,function 5
Device status states. The drivers for this device are not installed.[Code 28] To reinstall the drivers for this device,click Reinstall. Course when I do this the wizard tells me cannot find it. I have gone to Gateway support and downloaded some drivers but this has not worked for me. I did try to save drivers from my win 2000 that was allready working just fine but I sure didn't do so well with that. This is my first try at installing an xp oem on a used pc. Also this is my first Gateway Profile. I'm hoping that someone can guide me to the proper driver if that is my problem. Confused but hopfull. lm
lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hmmm..most probably a non-compatible driver you have there. Try this link

Sound driver for Gateway Profile 4

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#3 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

syunichi..
Thanks for the look and the reply. I had allready tried that driver but downloaded again to no avail. In the read me file it says to click on the soundmax entry in my device manager but there is no such entry. I suspect it is the unknown device but why will windows not see it? lm
lm 10730

#4 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:07 PM

Is there a sound tree file in your device manager? Sound,video and game controllers, expand it and do a right click to update any of those device to the driver provided inside the c:\cab\7512931 folder. Maybe by then you can update your drivers to latest version. Hope for the best and good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

This is strange. I went to the same site and did a search and came up with 2 different drivers , from the above, for the same model. Maybe one of those 2 will work

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers

Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 December 2007 - 11:45 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:28 AM

Thanks Mark .. I noticed that also and have tried both several downloads. no luck yet
lm 10730

#7 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:09 AM

Hello All.. Problem has been fixed. After installing two different sound driver downloads repetedly with still no luck. I downloaded a program from Gateway Support called gateway updater. This program downloaded the same file for me as I had allready done many times but this time it loaded the Soundmax Audio Device.After some configuring and a couple of restarts the sound came on. Yes its my birthday. Now if the Jayhawks can pull off a win on the basketball court it will be a great birthday for sure.. Thanks for all the reads the advice and the well wishes. Happy Holidays from the land of Oz. Over and out Todo.. Gratefully yours.. lm
lm 10730

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

I thought it was the sounmax. Glad you got it fixed. Will have to add that one to my notes
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users