Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mb's To Gb's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 C-info

C-info

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have been looking for a laptop just for checking my emails-downloading pictures and or songs-etc.
Nothing real important. I have a desktop for all bill paying and downloading for most things that I need to keep. I ran across one for sell thru a friend of mine . It has 256 in memory and 26 GB's. My sister has a laptop that is 512 in memory and 80 MB's. Which is bigger the MB's or the GB's?
Can anyone answer this for me please !!!

Thanks
C-info

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

One gigabyte is equal to 1,024 megabytes. Therefore GB is larger than MB. The one for sale is much 'smaller' than your sisters. Your sisters has twice the RAM(memory) and not quite 3 times the hard disk space (26 vs 80) in general terms. The 80 in GB not MB, I can assure you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 C-info

C-info
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

sorry, you are right. Looked up the info she sent to me and her laptop was 80 GB's. Thanks for the info....

#4 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:02 PM

Megabyte is 1,000,000
Gigabyte is 1,000,000,000
Terabyte is 1,000,000,000,000

Million/Billion/trillion

Maybe an external hard drive?(USB)

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:12 PM

Remember, it is all binary math, powers of two 2x2x2x2x2 etc

1 kilobyte is 1,024 bytes expressed in KB
I megabyte is 10 kilobytes 1,024,00 epressed in MB
I gigabyte is 10 kilobytes 1,024,000,000 expressed in GB

I used to teach this way back when to students who immediately forgot it all after the final exam
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:22 PM

The difficulty is that there is no single standard adhered to by all.

Memory capacity is quoted on a fully binary tree - binary Meg & Gig (Mebibytes & Gibibytes):

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

A binary megabyte (Mebibyte) is 2^20 bytes = 1,048,576 bytes

Hard drive manufacturers quote capacity based on decimal multiples - a megabyte is 1,000,000 bytes, etc.

The intermediate values eg a megabyte being 1000 KB (1,024,000 bytes) appear in some things like DOS disk utilities, where megabytes are calculated as decimal multiples of the 512 byte disk sector size (ie a megabyte is 2000 sectors).

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users