Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Help

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 skypilot0077

skypilot0077

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hi all. I having a little network issue that has turned into a major headach, at least for me.

I have a compaq presario with a celleron 2.6Ghz. I just restored it back to new condition and then procedded to do all the windows updates. After it got done installing service pack 2 it did a few more updates then restarted. After this restart I can no longer connect to the internet via my router. The network icon at the bottom of the screen says its conected at 100 mb but also now says "aquiring network address" . I'm running a netgear RP114 hardwired router and this computer was running fine off of it for two days then after the last windows update it cannot connect to the network anymore. Is there anyway fix this....been fighting it now for two days. Let me know if any further info is needed. Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

Router?

What about your modem?

What makes you think the router is a problem?

Did you try setting it up all over again...basically, rebooting the modem and checking the connections on everything?

May be helpful: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539...ddressquot.html

Louis

#3 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:23 PM

Router?

What about your modem?

What makes you think the router is a problem?

Did you try setting it up all over again...basically, rebooting the modem and checking the connections on everything?

May be helpful: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t539...ddressquot.html

Louis

I really don't think the router is the problem. I have 3 other computers connected to it and they work fine. I also swaped out the cables and ports and same result. Just this compaq computer will no longer connect so I'm thinking its something that must have changed with the last update.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:41 PM

Sooo...have you checked your network settings, to see if they are the same as the computers which can connect? Check the protocols listed under the connection?

If all computers go through a router and only one computer cannot connect, it's not the router.

But it could be the NIC of the computer (I hope this isn't wireless)...it could be the protocols set up on the system...all of these things which are easy to check...should be checked before going further.

If the NIC for the computer with problems is onboard, I would not be surprised if the NIC is the problem, based on my own limited experiences. I would uninstall the NIC (using Device Manager), reboot and allow XP to reinstall it (or reinstall the drivers myself).

And...I find that restarting the modem and/or router (in the same manner that a power failure might occur) resets a number of problematical situations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2007 - 08:43 PM.

#5 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hmm..in my experience the long timing during "aquiring address" always refers to using:

a) auto IP.
b. fix IP takes just a sec or two to sync, but if it conflicts with another pc it will give you a long waiting time.
c) typo in IP address,but this seldom happens.

You can try to disable the LAN connection for a sec and re-enable it and see what happen, or jump to another IP to see whether things will go better or worst. Hope it will work for you. Good luck
:thumbsup:
Posted Image

Tech Support: "Do you have any windows open right now?"
Customer: "Are you crazy woman, it's twenty below outside..."

#6 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

Ok...tried all those things and still nothing. When I was in the Local Area connection status window there is a button that says "repair local area connection". When I try this is says "windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed". "Renewing your IP address". Is that any help? Thanks for the suggestions.

#7 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:39 PM

Ahh...you might need to reinstall your NIC driver or do a rollback. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

Ahh...you might need to reinstall your NIC driver or do a rollback. Good luck. :flowers:

Done both of them already too...... :thumbsup:

I thought that restoring back to just before I had this issue would fix it but it did not. Everything else was resatored back but my network connection remained the same.

Edited by skypilot0077, 07 December 2007 - 09:48 PM.

#9 syunichi

syunichi

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:10 PM

Hmm..this would be difficult but you need to disable the existing NIC and try plugging in another via PCI and give it a try. If it does connect, so it would seem that your old NIC is the problem. If it doesnt, try to repair your XP via repair installation. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:39 AM

Could there be traces of the old NIC driver left on the system that are preventing you from connecting?

Also, since it says "Acquiring network address" you likely are connected - you just can't send the necessary information to actually complete the connection. Try checking the network cable (or try one from one of the other computers). Also check the Network settings and compare them to the settings on the other computers. As I recall, you can invoke the Network Setup Wizard on one of the connected computers and use it to make a disk to transfer the settings to another computer.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

Try this..

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

1) Connect the PC cable to the router, then do this:
2) Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.
3) "Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults":thumbsup:type) netsh winsock reset catalog
4) "Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults": (type) netsh int ip reset reset.log

5) Reboot the machine

You also may want to try resetting the system, even though the other computers can get online. Turn off and unplug the modem, turn off the router, turn off all the computers. Plug the modem back in and wait for the connect lights to go solid, then plug back in the router, lastly turn on all the computers. If this is a LAN connection remove the part about the modem.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:03 PM

Ok..I've tried all the suggestions so far and nothing has worked. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC but have not swappped out a NIC yet but thats my next step. This PC has an onboard NIC so I will disable it in device manager and install one from the other working PCs and see what happens. I'll let you know how I make out. I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

#13 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

Swapping out the NIC also had no effect....it is still trying to acquire network address.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Well...you seem to be missing something.

It's not the modem/router, since other computers have no problem.

That only leaves the NIC and your configuration.

If you tried another NIC, that only leaves your configuration. You did look at the settings/protocols, right?

Louis

#15 skypilot0077

skypilot0077
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

I checked the settings and protocols and all are the same. I think I did find something on this computer that won't connect. I read that the DHCP Client needs to running in order to connect. I ran the services.msc to check if DHCP Client was loading automatically and it is but it is not starting. There is a tab in there to start it manually, when I tried it it says " Could not start the DHCP Client service on local computer" "ERROR 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion". This sound like it could be a problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users