Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Irql_not_less_or_equal Error When Starting Windows Xp - Possible Wifi Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bassmanuk

bassmanuk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Hi

I've just installed Windows XP sp2 on my Compaq N600C laptop, which has 1gb ram and a 60gb hard drive. It has the Compaq W200 wireless LAN adapter connected to its Multiport (essentially a USB connection on the lid, but with a different connection method).

This setup has worked fine before, but now when I try and start the laptop up, if the W200 is on, I get a Blue Screen error saying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, the spiel about trying different things, and then the techincal information is:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x72657519, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804E355B)

Beginning dum of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Now I'm scratching my head. I can't get the thing to work. If the W200 is switched off the the laptop boots into Windows. If I then switch it on, I get the same Blue Screen after about 3 seconds.

Can anyone help me with whats going on?

Please :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Since you can isolate this to the wireless adapter - try updating the drivers for the wireless adapter (using another computer and a CD).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bassmanuk

bassmanuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

I have updated to the latest drivers, but still the same problem.

Is the IRQL causing anything to do with this?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Here's a link to a description of the error message: http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x0a
Here's a more technical description: http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/ddtools/bccodes_6vxj.htm

The next thing would be to update the motherboard/chipset drivers.

You can also search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp When you find them, use this link to perform an analysis of the memory dump and post the results here for us to have a look at ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 ) This may give us some more information about where the error occurred.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

Do you have XP's firewall turned off and still having this problem?
X

#6 bassmanuk

bassmanuk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

Yes. Firewall turned off, and it still happens :thumbsup:

#7 Pete Hopkins

Pete Hopkins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:12 AM

Hi Guy's,
I too am having this problem, my computer keeps ramdomly crashing and I get the blue screen with the message IRQL not less or equal, I sometimes get a message saying that there has been a driver problem. I am not running a wifi connection so this cannot be the reason, and at the times of the crashes I am not running any additional hardware, cameras, scanners etc so I don't think it can be one of these drives. I have checked my systems Event Logs and have found this, can anyone translate it for me please:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: ACPI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5
Date: 17/12/2007
Time: 12:02:23
User: N/A
Computer: USER-20E7E13B3A
Description:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x4d1), which lies in the 0x4d0 - 0x4d1 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 c0 .......
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Any help would be much appreciated.
Pete Hopkins

#8 Gumpy01

Gumpy01

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:26 PM

Hi Folks,

I just finished a computer rebuild with my brother in law, hes a big time IT guy, and ran into the same problem. We took the system down to components that were required for startup and worked from there. It turned out that one of my memory sticks wasnt seated properly because when we checked them, it was much hotter than the other. We removed that stick and had no trouble installing XP. Once the computer was up and running, I reinserted that stick of memory and it ran fine. IRQ problems i have found out are quirky because you have to determine were the computer is having trouble with the information requests to be able to fix it. I did google.com the error message and found several area to look at from others that have experienced this problem. After lots of reading, much much patience, about 3 hours and some luck, I had my new system up and running.

Hope this helps..there is hope and light at the end of most tunnels...;p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users