Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer Message

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wenasoga

wenasoga

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

My system has been unstable for about three weeks and this is the message that Event Viewer displays afterward.

AMLI : ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address 0x71 which lies in the 0x70-0x71 protected address range.

Can anyone tell me what this means and how to correct this problem?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

Interesting error usually associated with non-compliant achi bios's and windows xp protection, however these things usually don't just happen on their own and trying to fix them depends upon what you changed or did when this started to occur?

Any clues? Has someone been playing with the bios settings?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

Not before the system became unstable. I have tried the failsafe defaults and also the optimized defaults and neither of them make any difference.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

I would take a close look at your bios settings, bios version?

Can you give some details please? Something has changed your bios if other reports of this error are any indication?

Course for all I know windows update could have done it. More clues with details are needed.
Chewy

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

Take a look: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-6346-5034412.html

Louis

#6 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:27 PM

Hamluis, as you know, I've been treating this as a hardware problem. However, Everything in my system has repeatedly tested good under a number of diagnostic utilities. This problem just appeared one day about a week after I replaced a memory stick that tested bad. The new one worked fine and tested fine. All was well for a week or ten days. As a precaution, I have ordered a new power supply in case there is a voltage fluctuation. I am currently having to turn the power on and off a number of times (two, three or even four) to get the system to boot up. It seems to run fine as long as I am working, surfing etc. Once It becomes inactive (for a random number of minutes) it may reboot itself or go into a type of hibernation (with all fans running). Screensaver only works sometimes and even then, it will go into a sleep mode. When this happens, I have to do a hard reboot in order to start back up. Windows has worked fine for quite a while, so as Chewy suggested, it could have been an update that fouled things up. I have kind of suspected BIOS problems for a few days, but am not well versed in the setups. Your article helped, but It's a socket 370 board and the last bios updat was in 2000.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:37 AM

I would try a new battery or at least another one, clearing cmos and then go into bios and turn off acpi and power management or adjust for play and pray/whatever

That old a mobo may just be worn out????
Chewy

#8 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

Chewy, I installed a new battery. But I will try the other suggestions and let you know.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

I agree that it just may be time for a new motherboard, you've certainly gotten excellent mileage out of that one.

If you go that route, motherboard replacements are fairly inexpensive for casual/routine users of systems (IMO). If this is a laptop, they are now what I consider inexpensive (I paid $2k in 96 for my first computer, a slow-by-today's-standards, limited P166) :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

Mine was a P133, the pci vid card had 2 megs of ram, they wanted another 50$ for 2 more megs

I think I sold it 5 years ago for 50$ but not before spending 200$ on another 32 megs of ram and a 8 meg ati card so I could play/run myst
Chewy

#11 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:28 PM

This is a desktop that I built in 03 or 04. Doesn't get a ton of use. Soyo mother board...SY-7vma-B.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:51 AM

Hmmm...I think I'd get another motherboard just because the one you listed is so far behind current or recent ones in potential performance.

I tend to hang onto working motherboards (this system has an ECS L7VMM3/XP 2200 combination), but I don't hesitate to replace when something goes apparently wrong with the board. I always have at least one or two newer boards around which I acquired when price dictated such :thumbsup:.

The problem with a PIII board/processor is that I could never have any confidence in it today, if things went wrong with the system. There are all sorts of combos (motherboard/CPU) that are more recent, more reliable, more available, and inexpensive.

Louis

#13 wenasoga

wenasoga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:20 AM

OK folks, here's the skinny. I went into the BIOS setup. Power management was set on "User define". I basically switched it to allow Windows to control pm and at this point the system is running completely stable, IE boots 1'st time, wakes back up from standby mode, screen saver works and no random shutdowns or reboots. Don't want to brag too soon, but it looks like I'll get a few more miles out of this 'ole boy after all. I only wish I knew what happened to change things in the first place. I guess we'll never know. Thanks for your help....I'm sure I'll see ya around!

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:02 PM

Well done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

I don't think I've ever even taken notice of power settings in the BIOS, let alone thought about changing/adjusting such.

Louis

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

There is limited interaction between the BIOS and Windows (for example, your system time) - so it's possible that a windows setting was responsible for this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users