Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes Every Time I Change Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hi,

My laptop freezes every time I try to change my desktop background. I can't do anything else after that. If I click on Start > My computer for example, it just remains stuck. Restarting does not solve the problem because when I go back, nothing responds. I am forced to Restore. Any simpler way of solving this problem.

Windows XP Media Centre SP2, 1gb RAM, 80 GB, 1.66 GHz.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

By what you have described and the information provided about you laptop, I get the strong impression that something is really hogging your resourses.
Have you viewed the events manager to see if you can pick up on any clues ?
regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

I assume you mean the Task Manager. No, I don't see anything unusual.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

Is this a standard Msft back ground or a third party application?
The task manager may give some clue to what is using a lot of CPU.

You can also look in the Event Viewer and post back Any items marked with an ! or red X
In Windows XP, an event is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified, or an entry added to a log. The Event Log Service records application, security, and system events in Event Viewer. With the event logs in Event Viewer, you can obtain information about your hardware, software, and system components, and monitor security events on a local or remote computer. Event logs can help you identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help you predict potential system problems.

How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

Edited by boopme, 07 December 2007 - 08:56 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks boopme for the info and the link. It is freezes with both Msft backgroung and other applications.

I have checked the 'Event Viewer' and it looks like there are a number of '!' inside a yellow triangle and quite a few red Xs. Posting each and everyone of them will take some time I guess. But here are some Red Xs:

1)

Type: Error
Source: Application Error
Category:(100)
Event: 1000

Description:

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(The above message seems to repeat VERY often)

2)

Source: SDWinSec.exe
Category: None
Event: 0

Description:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( SDWinSec.exe ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The service process could not connect to the service controller.

3)

Source: MSDTC Client
Category: 10
Event: 4427

Description:

Failed to initialize the needed name objects. Error Specifics: d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\dtc\dtc\msdtcprx\src\dtcinit.cpp:215, Pid: 3108
No Callstack,
CmdLine: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe /Processid:{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

(There are about 5 of these repeated one after the other)

There is also one error for COM+

4) Type: Error
Source: Userenv
Category: None
Event: 1068

Description:

Windows ended GPO processing because the computer shut down or the user logged off.

There are other errors but obviously they seem to deal with other applications... i.e. powerdvd.exe, realplay.exe, iexplore.exe etc

As for the yellow triangles, they are too many to list but some of these descriptions are repeated quite often:

1) Windows cannot unload your classes registry file - it is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

and

2) Windows saved user JUHA\ASM registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users