Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Or Xp?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

Hello, Im going to be buying a custom Alienware and it gives me the option of Xp or Vista. I was wondering witch is better.

I hear Vista isn't all that its cracked up to be. If thats true please tell me why XP is better.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:12 PM

My reasons, for choosing XP:
XP has been out longer, so "most" of the bugs have been worked out.

XP is compatible with just about everything, as far as hardware, and software, is concerned.

XP is less of a resource hog.

Just my 2
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

In general (and IMO) - XP is for those who are satisfied with the state of their computer right now. Vista, OTOH, is still maturing and will (again IMO) eventually exceed the flexibility of XP. From what I've seen, Vista is a more robust, stable, and secure OS than XP was - and it will be able to support more newly released software and hardware in the future.

Stability and compatibility with older applications/hardware are reasons for sticking with XP
The latest techology comes with a price - and Vista will make you well aware of that price tag.
FWIW - I'm sold on Vista and prefer it to XP - but I've been using it for almost 2 years now and have gotten over the "growing pains".

Edited by usasma, 07 December 2007 - 03:57 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

I also run Vista Ultimate but if you want a rig for gaming there is no dobt that games will run faster on XP........the only thing I dont like about Vista is that it was released too early, more testing was required on the driver side of things.
MCP
MSDST

#5 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:53 PM

I agree with Monty007, I play alot of gaming on my pc and Vista ultimate is slow, ok you get to use DX10 but to be honest its not much better than DX9, Vista is full of useless rubbish clattering away in the background which on my pc as much has been disabled :huh: I use XP Pro 80% of the time while playing games and the other 20% of my time using Vista.

As for Alienware..... I would build your own pc, ive had one Alienware which cost 2800 and after a search on the net i built the same pc inc case for 845 saving 2000 :huh: all your doing is paying for Alienware name which means jack **** and trust me when i say this but after sales care is very poor indeed :huh: maybe i was one of the unlucky ones but i have heard alot of bad stuff regarding them!

Edited by big C.O.Z, 08 December 2007 - 06:03 PM.

#6 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

My reasons, for choosing XP:
XP has been out longer, so "most" of the bugs have been worked out.

XP is compatible with just about everything, as far as hardware, and software, is concerned.

XP is less of a resource hog.

Just my 2

Absolutely. Agreed. Vista is a total system hog you will need double or maybe even triple the system preformance to run vista amazingly, then XP. If you have like 4gb of ram and a pci-E 256mb vid card. then don't go vista, at least until the SP1 Comes out in Second Quarter 08

Oh and DO NOT GO ALIENWARE do your own custom build. its very straight forward. its kinda like the square peg goes into the square hole, the round peg goes into the round hole. wiring the inside of a computer is MUCH EASIER than it sounds. Try it, you'll learn alot in the process.

Edited by Andrew D'Angelo, 08 December 2007 - 09:48 PM.

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:18 PM

Well thats the thing. My computer is definitively powerful enough to run Vista like its just another program. Its at 4GB of Ram and a Quad core 8mb cache 3.0GHz processor.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 08 December 2007 - 10:18 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#8 big C.O.Z

big C.O.Z

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

Well thats the thing. My computer is definitively powerful enough to run Vista like its just another program. Its at 4GB of Ram and a Quad core 8mb cache 3.0GHz processor.

I would say the same.... my pc is more than powerful enough to run Vista but it still does not like it unless you start disableing things and forever trying to change things to get it too perform and if your going to do that then you might as well stick with XP, as said by lots of people, Vista is still not complete and i agree, it was let out onto the street much too early IMO, DX10 is ok but since gaming is much slower on Vista you are better off with XP so nothing acheived there :huh: all in all, pc specs have nothing to do with it, its what you need to do to Vista O/S to get it to work on your pc!

#9 worried dragon

worried dragon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:39 PM

I'd go for XP pro. Youll probably glean a bit of extra performance out of it especially for gaming. XP has been (for me) the most stable OS yet. Its also much cheaper option for oem or full program disc

I've been using Vista home premium for about 3 months now. Not completely sure whether I like it - but 54yr old dragons dont like change and I knew my way around xp well. Vista has quite a few teething problems not all of which have been worked around yet. On the upside vista has some nice admin tools (including the reliability monitor) which helped me track and solve the latest glitch.

#10 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

xXAlphaXx,

Based on experiences reported by members here at Bleeping Computer and elsewhwere, if you do choose Vista, I think you would be safest to get only the Ultimate Edition. Too many people have been surprised to find that the Vista Edition they purchased (e.g., Home Basic, Home Premium or Business) did not include a feature that they really wanted/needed or could have benefitted from. For example, someone who purchased Vista Home Premium needed the Fax and Scan feature, someone else who purchased Vista Business needed the Media Center extensions, etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ns/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...ons/choose.mspx

Edited by M..., 09 December 2007 - 01:40 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Vista requires a lot of tweaking to make it run efficiently for the average power user. Out of the box it's designed with the average user in mind - not the average power user.

And, since it's more complicated, the tweaks are correspondingly more complicated.

With XP there wasn't a whole bunch of difference (to the average user) between Home and Professional. Media Center Edition was (IMO) just a kludge which combined aspects of Pro on a Home base - and then added some Media stuff to make it more attractive to Bill Gates' vision of the PC as the center of the home.

With Vista the feature mix is pretty rich - but it's not real easy to figger out what you need. Ultimate has it all - so it's worth a few extra bucks to not have to fiddle with what you're going to need in the future.

Vista SP1 has recently gone to RC status - so it'll release soon and then we'll be able to see what it offers.

Edited by usasma, 09 December 2007 - 06:13 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 frankblourtango

frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

Go with XP. It's only us self abusing masochists that feel we should beta test OS's for Microsoft :huh:

or is it WE self abusing masochists....

Edited by frankblourtango, 11 December 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:53 AM

I have Vista. Or more accurately, I had Vista. I do not like it, Sam I am, I would not like it in a tree, I would not like it even if were free.

XP Pro has served me well. It's fast, stable, and mature.

Recently I've been moving (ever so slowly) over to Linux. Ubuntu 7.10 with compiz is really quite visually stunning, surpassing (IMO) Vista's eye candy while consuming several orders of magnitude less resources.

My recommendation: XP Pro (plus Ubunti 7.10 for when you need eye candy. What have you got to lose by trying? Linux is free!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users