Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ependeon

Ependeon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:09 PM

I was using my external HD to backup data from my laptop (I plan on doing a system recovery). The HD had originally been hooked up to my PC with no problems. A few minutes in, the transfer stops and I get a message that the drive is not ready.

Now when I try to access the hard drive from either the PC or the laptop I get a message that says "Please insert a disk into drive (letter of the drive):". Something I noticed, not sure if it's relevant, is that originally the HD was (G:) on the PC. When I connected it to my laptop, the drive was recognized as (F:). After I got the error and connected it back to the PC the HD was recognized as (F:), same as the laptop but different than it originally was on the PC.

I'm running XP Home on both the PC and laptop.

Can anyone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

It may very well be that it is being confused with the letter change. You can change that back to whatever you like. :huh:

Right Click on My Computer and Left Click on Manage.

Select Disk Management on the left.

You should see your internal hard drive(s) or external hard drive. Each should have a letter.

If you Right Click the External Drive, you can select Change Drive Letter or Path.

You can then change the drive letter back to what it was previously.

See if that gets you back your functionality. :thumbsup:

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

Actually, I believe that the drive letter should change from system to system, since XP/Windows recognizes a drive based on the drives already connected (unless you have already assigned a specific letter).

Priority goes to C: (boot drive/partition), D: (optical drive, if it is the only other drive attached when installing XP)...and then everything else just rolls up the alphabet when attached.

So a drive which is E: on one system may be picked up as E: on another system when installed (if it is the 3d drive attached on that system).

Another point of confusion for Windows occurs when you have a drive already with a given letter...and you attach another drive with the same letter assigned. In such cases, My Computer will not see one of the drives and the user must go into Disk Management and change one of the drive letters for one of the two drives.

I suspect that simply deleting your USB controller and rebooting...and then attaching the drive.. will straighten matters out on each system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2007 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users