Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Amy73

Amy73

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:48 AM

I am sorta new to this, so bare with me!
I have a pc that has two OS's on the C drive; Home and Pro. My dad put them on here and now wants Pro deleted. I am getting different views on this. Some say I will have to reformat the drive and reinstall saving info to cd; while others say I can move Pro to a different partition. I dont want to make a partition for Pro. I want to just delete it and have the info saved to put on Home Edition. I do not want to mess anything up so give me any tips or advice you have!

Thanks!
Posted Image
"It is what it is"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Acreo Aeneas

Acreo Aeneas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

You can simply open up My Computer > Right-click the pro partition > Format... > NTFS

Or you can use a partitioning tool to "safely" remove the partition while keeping your other files and partition intact.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

pro could have updated home and replaced it if run as an upgrade or repair disk, but if run as a dual boot then it would have left home alone, the problem is the boot files were altered with pro being installed

either way the computer is already messed up, never install 2 OS's to the same drive

back up your data and do a complete reinstall of home

I know that sounds drastic but in the long run it's the best option
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Amy73

Amy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:19 PM

You can simply open up My Computer > Right-click the pro partition > Format... > NTFS

Or you can use a partitioning tool to "safely" remove the partition while keeping your other files and partition intact.

Since they both are on C: drive, I don't think I wanna remove it, right?
I will get a disk and delete and start over. Tyvm for your help :thumbsup:
Posted Image
"It is what it is"

#5 Amy73

Amy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:21 PM

pro could have updated home and replaced it if run as an upgrade or repair disk, but if run as a dual boot then it would have left home alone, the problem is the boot files were altered with pro being installed

either way the computer is already messed up, never install 2 OS's to the same drive

back up your data and do a complete reinstall of home

I know that sounds drastic but in the long run it's the best option

Tyvm for your help. Ya, my dad doesnt know much about computers.lol :thumbsup:
Posted Image
"It is what it is"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Actually, I think that all you had to do was delete the Windows folder which you did not want...from the other O/S...assuming that the boot.ini file was not an issue.

Deleting that folder would have eliminated the separate registry and files for that O/S, as long as you did it from the Windows which you wanted to keep.

I know this from experience (two installs of Windows on same partition) and I'm supposed to know better than to do so :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Amy73

Amy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Actually, I think that all you had to do was delete the Windows folder which you did not want...from the other O/S...assuming that the boot.ini file was not an issue.

Deleting that folder would have eliminated the separate registry and files for that O/S, as long as you did it from the Windows which you wanted to keep.

I know this from experience (two installs of Windows on same partition) and I'm supposed to know better than to do so :thumbsup:.

Louis

So from Home; delete the windows folder for Pro?
Posted Image
"It is what it is"

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

your boot.ini would still list the deleted one, what about program folders, and all the other stuff on the root directory?

real nightmare
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

If you want to keep Home...

Reboot the system. The screen should give you the two different operating systems and await your choice of which you want to boot into.

Boot into Home, delete the Pro Windows folder.

You will also have to make a minor edit to the boot.ini file to keep it from reflecting an O/S that no longer exists, but it's simple, here is a useful link:
How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;289022

Additional reading material:
XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

#10 Amy73

Amy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

If you want to keep Home...

Reboot the system. The screen should give you the two different operating systems and await your choice of which you want to boot into.

Boot into Home, delete the Pro Windows folder.

You will also have to make a minor edit to the boot.ini file to keep it from reflecting an O/S that no longer exists, but it's simple, here is a useful link:
How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;289022

Additional reading material:
XP FAQ, Two XP Installs On Same Partition - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

Louis

Thank you. I will try it later.
Posted Image
"It is what it is"

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:10 PM

Let us know how it goes...and ask here if you want/need advice during any part of the operation :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 Amy73

Amy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:14 PM

I will let you know. Thank you again.
Posted Image
"It is what it is"