Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide To Sata

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CWTCOMMISH

CWTCOMMISH

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

I lost my hard drive last week and I purchased a SATA hard drive. My motherboard is IDE only. I found out that by installing a PCI adapter that I could use this hard drive. The instructions told me to copy a certain file from the driver disk to a floppy and after installing the adapter to run the floppy when windows asked for it. This is where I am stuck! Windows will not run the driver and my hard drive is still not seen by windows. Am I missing something in these directions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:35 AM

If you lost your hard drive and only have the new one, then how can you have windows at all? Does your computer see the new pci sata adapter(which exact one is it)? It should be called a pci sata controller card? Usually you need to set it up with it's bios and the computer's bios to boot a new drive and then you can install windows on it by booting to the windows cd, hitting F6 when windows asks for other controller drivers. There's a lot of things required here and they are not user friendly at all.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 CWTCOMMISH

CWTCOMMISH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

I found my problem, the sata cable was loosely connected to the adapter. It's up and running now!
Thanks for replying. :huh: :thumbsup: :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users