Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hello

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jongleur

jongleur

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:05 PM

New to the board. Papa told me about this place. I saw no post to the linux board so I just wanted to say hi.

I run SuSE 9.0 Professional and am pretty new to it, (2 weeks) and Windows XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:06 PM

Welcome to the board jongleur.

If you have any questions about linux or xp please do not hesitate to ask!

I am personally a RedHat fan and will be giving Fedora a try soon.

#3 jongleur

jongleur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 05:29 PM

I had tried fedora a try first. It's nice but was a bit confusing for a newbie. I had heard that RedHat was more business/ server. I caught a SuSE box on sale for 40 bucks and have loved it.

As for questions... Linux wise, I gots a ton of 'em :thumbsup: The thing that I'm trying to figure out right now is KSim, the system monitor. I'm trying to apply a GKrellM theme. I've been downloading with Konqueror and extracting to the directory that KSim says to. The theme shows up in the KSim config panel but I can't get the theme to apply. I think I need a plugin but don't know which one or even where to install it to.

Suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

jon

#4 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 09:21 PM

You got me on this one :thumbsup: Maybe some other people who know linux can help you out.

I do not really use the Xwindows interface that much.

#5 jongleur

jongleur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2004 - 10:30 PM

Not a prob. I'll figure it out sooner-or-later. Trial and error, that's the best way to learn. :thumbsup:

#6 rjmccutchan

rjmccutchan

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

I would like to chime in on this one since I have been a linux user for over a year.

I am not going to say "use this or that", but just tell my experience.

I tried a dozen or more different distro's on an old Dell Optiplex with an pentium 4 and 1gig ram. At the time, I had NO idea how to install an operating system. I mean totally stupid about it! I tried Mepis, Fedora, Suse, Mint, and many others, and they all gave me some problems. Several of them just wouldn't install. But before I tried all the others, I installed Ubuntu without a hitch. I just tried the others for the fun of it.

Since then, I have installed Ubuntu on 15 or more computers, and every time it goes without a problem. Simply follow what it says and it will find all your drivers and anything else you might need. No need to have a disc full of drivers as long as you have access to the internet from time to time.

I would highly recommend to anyone interested in Linux, see if a distro has a live cd you can burn (most do). Run the cd and play with it for a while. It will not install anything on your computer and you can check compatibility.

Just some points about Ubuntu Linux: I have no virus protection, no malware protection, it has a built in industrial strength firewall, it has AWESOME eye candy features (Multiple rotating desktops, wobbly windows, etc....do a youtube search), and my computer does not slow down over time. Oh yeah....the most important part: Free OS, Free software

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

I have been doing a lot of esperimenting with different versions of linux off and on over the last 5 years, Im far from a experienced user however. I have a secondary computer I use only for linux, and right now my two favorite distros for personal use are OpenSuSe and Mandriva, they seem to have the perfect balance between power and eye candy. I use Ubuntu often to help rescue virus infected computers and the like, and while I like its ease of use and how it looks, its not as powerful as some of the other distros. Nothing wrong with that of course, theres a distro for everyone. Anyway welcome to the board.

P.S. if you like Ubuntu, You might try LinuxMint, Ive found it just as easy to run as Ubuntu.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:39 AM

I would recommend upgrading to at least OpenSuse 10.x. I say OpenSuse because I think it was back in 2005, that SuSE 9.0 Professional became OpenSuse as we see it today. It is now free and is up too version 11.3, there are so many improvements and compatibility issues that have been fixed over the years.
Also I think that Gkrellm theme support has been removed. Not sure on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users