Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer 7 (how To Downgrade To Ie6)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 judda

judda

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:43 AM

Hello Guys,

I am having some problems with IE7 and would like to oust it from my PC, I have tried Add and Remove etc, to no avail.

1) Can I do as I would like to do, Remove IE7. ?

2) can I revert back to IE6 ? .....or is this the answer ???

Any help would be very much appreciated.

The problem I am having is this : I use theBox.bz (power user) but whenever I try to participate now, I get a message from IE7 :::

The website declines to show this webpage : HTTP403

When I try to get help about HTTP403, I get this report :

IE was able to connect to the website but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

When I asked for advise on the site about this, I was told: the security level on IE7 may be at fault ?

I have tried to downgrade the security on IE7 (I think !) to see if this would allow access to downloads on theBox.bz, to no avail, I still get the same messages.

I have even tried System restore, to see if I could go back to a time, when I was easily able to download etc, from theBox.bz, No Joy.

I am 67 years of age, love my PC, and try to do what I can to help myself, (mostly with the help of the likes of yourselves :thumbsup:, But I do get stumped easily !!! and can't progress.

Any information whatsoever what be very much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Judda.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

Assuming you upgraded to IE7, as opposed to having it already installed on a new computer from the factory, the add/remove programs should work. If you remove IE7 using the add/remove programs then you will go back to IE6. However, I understand you are having troubles with this.

You could always try Uninstall Plus! It is a program that is available on a trial basis HERE. I use it regularly and like it. Not only will it start a specific program's uninstaller, but then it will search the registry for any traces of the deleted program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:53 AM

I just checked the Box.bz site with Firefox and got the sign in screen. That might be one solution for you.
I should add that I did not allow cookies or script. So I doubt if it is a "security" problem.

Edited by buddy215, 07 December 2007 - 07:56 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:23 AM

Did you install any new security software on your computer just before this problem occurred? Maybe something is blocking access to the site?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hello Guys,

The help is much appreciated,

Albert Frankenstein I have downloaded the Uninstall plus, it looks a good program as you say, I will let you know how I get on with it.

Buddy 215, Thanks for checking it out, I didn't think it was a security problem either.

Budapest, I have installed new security software, I have been away at my daughters for a few days also, so I will have to check whether or not the security installation was around the same time as I have had the problems, Thanks.

You guys are the best...

You have given me loads to go on, I will get back to you asap.

Thanks again.

Judda.

#6 judda

judda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:03 AM

:flowers: Hello Guys,

Albert Frankenstein, I have been using the Uninstaller (will buy the program) it is, as you say a great program, Thank you, Couldn't uninstall IE7 with it though !!!

Budapest, security not an issue, But thank you for your help.

I did find help on the Mirosoft site on how to uninstall IE7 and it reverts back to IE 6, Great...

TO UNINSTALL IE7:

(a) Click start and then click run.
(:thumbsup: in the Open box, type appwiz.cpl and then click OK
©In the list of programs, click Windows Internet Explorer 7, and then click Remove.
(d) follow the instructions to Uninstall Windows Internet Explore 7.

After you uninstall IE7, double click the IE icon to verify that IE6 is restored !!!!!

I tried uninstalling via the ADD & REMOVE Program as Albert Frankenstein instructed me to, with no success, yet this explanation from Microsoft, which is exactly the same, worked ...Why, ? I don't know..

METHOD 2 : Use Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE7 : I didn't have to do this so don't know if it works <s>

Step 1: Make Hidden files and folders visible::
(a) Click Strat, then My documents, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click View tab in Advanced Settings list, Under Hidden files and folders click Show Hidden Files and Folders, then click OK.

Step 2: Click Start, then Run, in the Open box type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then OK

After you uninstall IE7, double click the IE icon to verify that IE6 is restored.

I hope this works for someone else that doesn't want IE7, I know I am a lot better off, with regards to the PC, with IE6 on board.

I am a 'stuck in the mud' if you like, and don't want to be messing about with the likes of Firefox etc, maybe it an 'age' thing <g>

Thanks once more to you people who help the likes of me on these forums, as I said,...you are the best....

Judda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users