Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bsod 5 Secs After Log In

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bebopbam

Bebopbam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

Let me just get this out of the way, I've already contacted Blizzard and Dell (my manufacturer) for help. Blizzard tech helped me 'unofficially' narrow down the problem, while Dell connected me to a girl in Korea who didn't even know what an MMO, BSOD, or the most rudamentory of tech lingo (needless to say I'm not calling them again). ok, I'll start from the beginning. On Sunday I bought WoW, the installation went fine but every time it started downloading the patches it would give me BSOD. So I tried getting the patch in Safe mode, and it worked; however, I am now unable to log in at all. I maybe have 5 seconds at the most after log on before I get BSOD. I think I might know what the problem is but I need to get into safe mode to do it (though I'm still open to other suggestions). Since I only have 5 seconds before BSOD I don't have time to get to Safe mode through MSconfig and for some reason whenever I press F12 at the start screen it doesn't give me the regular boot menu, instead it gives me the boot device menu. Now for the past three years or so I've always been able to enter safe mode through F12 but for some reason it has changed. Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:47 AM

What does the BSOD say?

You could do a repair install of Windows XP.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Bebopbam

Bebopbam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:55 AM

I've already tried reinstalling windows and it didn't work. On the blue screen it says "Stop: 0x0000008E"

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:46 AM

If reinstalling Windows didn't help then it's pointing towards a hardware issue. You could try updating your BIOS. Another thing to try is to run some of the hardware diagnostic tests on the UBCD to see if you can isolate the problem. Also, have you tried pressing F8 to enter Safe Mode rather than F12?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Bebopbam

Bebopbam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:08 AM

Yes I've tried F8 and I don't have a UBCD

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:15 AM

You could always burn a UBCD - it's free.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Bebopbam

Bebopbam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:33 AM

couldn't I just use the diagnostic program already on my computer? Dell put one on for me already.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:05 AM

couldn't I just use the diagnostic program already on my computer? Dell put one on for me already.

Yes. No point downloading diagnostic tools if you already have them.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Bebopbam

Bebopbam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Alright I'll do a full diagnostic and see if that will tell me anything, if it doesn't I'll just reformat C and start from fresh. Thanks for your help

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:56 PM

The fact that you got a STOP error when you tried to repair install...would suggest (to me) that the hard drive needs checking (using chkdsk), at the very least.

All hard drive manufacturers (maybe I should say some) offer diagnostic programs for the drives they manufacturer/sell.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users