Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk Won't Run

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Poe

Randy Poe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:30 PM

Windows XP SP2. CHKDSK C: /R results in "cannot open volume for direct access." It does not even give the message if you want to run CHKDSK after the next restart. Any ideas? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:53 AM

Try running chkdsk /p from the Recovery Console on the partition in question.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

Well...where did you enter this chkdsk command?

I mean, are you using the XP CD, the command prompt, Start/Run...it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Louis

#4 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

So far, from the command prompt...

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

How To Scan Your Hard Drive Using Error Checking-

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble.../hderrcheck.htm

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:34 AM

Nice link, thanks :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

I will definitely try that - thanks! As an aside, has anyone had any luck with Norton Disk Doctor (or whatever they call the new version) actually fixing any errors? Ever had it CAUSE any problems?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

Norton Disk Doctor...was designed for Win 95/98, systems which lacked the proper tools to diagnose and take care of certain system irregularities/conditions.

I used NSW when I had Win 98 for several years.

NSW or whatever it's called has no place on an XP system, since the tools which are provided either on XP or free somewhere else...do a much better job of maintaining a system than NSW can do within XP.

If you run chkdsk in accordance with the instructions provided in that particular link...and then follow that up with a system defrag, you should be good to go as far as disk maintenance that NSW could provide (at a price).

As for causing problems...Symantec software has been known to cause some problems on certain systems. But, I never experienced any with NAV, NSW, or NIS during my approximate 5-years of using. I stopped using Symantec products when I realized that there were better alternatives for what I wanted to do...which did not cost anything :thumbsup: and were at least as effective as the Symantec products I used.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 December 2007 - 05:50 PM.

#9 Randy Poe

Randy Poe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:06 PM

I attempted to scan the hard disk with the Windows XP computer management utility referenced in the link previously, and it will not scan. "Windows was unable to complete the disk check" results. See attachment. Any further ideas? I have yet to try it from the Recovery Console... was that option /P? I don't see that option from the command line interface. Any further ideas? Thanks.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users