Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloader-bea, Vundo, Generic.dx-i Can't Get Rid Of

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 frstmate72

frstmate72

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:21 PM

I've been dealing with some type of infection for a few weeks now. When I run my McAfee scan it runs smoothly until it hits about 35000 files that it has scanned and then every file after that it detects and names a detection. I've tried to let it run completely as it says it is either "quarantining" or "deleting" the files, but it would take days to let it run through every single file and complete the scan. The items that it is detecting are: Downloader-BEA (Trojan), Vundo (Trojan), Vundo.dr (Trojan), Generic.dx, and Generic Downloader.k. It started out with just the "Vundo" items which I thought I had gotten rid of. I had read another post on here an followed the directions by downloading and running the "VundoFix" program. It detected some infected files but apparently did not remove everything. Now there are even more files infected and even more types of infections that I don't recognize.

It doesn't seem to be affecting my computer too much. The only problem I'm having is with my disk drive. I can't seem to download new drivers (i.e. my printer/scanner and my external CD/DVD burner) and when I try to save anything to disk, it doesn't recognize that there is a empty disk in the drive. I don't know if this is related to the infection or not. I have considered redoing my whole computer, but I have many pictures and files that I need to save to CD before I can reconstruct my whole system.

Can anyone help me or advise me what I need to do at this point? If I need to reformat my whole computer, I'll do it, but I really need to save these files first. Any suggestions or help that anyone may be able to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 05:22 AM

Have you run any other scans besides McAfee?

If not, I would recommend running a full system scan in Safe Mode with SuperAntiSpyware and then an Online-Scan or two:

HouseCall
BitDefender
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

Since you are already receiving help here, this thread is closed. Please do not start new threads or duplicate topics as this causes confusion and makes it more difficult to get the help you need to resolve your issues. Thanks for your cooperation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users