Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Won't Stop Rebooting On Start-up.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

I've been having problems with loading my WMP 11 for a while. When I click on the shortcut or open a file requiring the WMP I get a message telling me to restart the computer and try opening WMP again.

I don't use WMP much so I've had it on the back-burner. The other day I decided to figure it out, so I ran chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow. Check Disk finished without a problem.

SFC prompted me to insert the Windows CD, so I did, and it began copying files, or whatever it does. I left the room and when I came back the CMD window was just sitting there so I exitied the window and tried WMP again.

WMP still didn't work so I decided to roll-back to the version that came with my PC. Went to Add/Remove programs and removed WMP 11. Was prompted to reboot, so I did. That's when it happened.

The computer booted to the "Safe Mode" screen. I chose to reboot windows normally. It got all the way to the windows loading screen, then a BSOD flashed very quickly then the computer began to reboot, bringing me back to the "Safe Mode" screen again.

I tried "Last Known good configuration..." (forget what it says) and same thing happens.

When the computer was rebooting the first time, i took out the Windows CD. Thinking that I screwed up, I put it back in the second time it rebooted. Tried the reboot from CD and brought me to the Set Up screen. I thought maybe this was a diagnostic thing from SFC, so I chose "repair." went through the whole thing, but the computer still won't reboot properly.

I can boot in Safe Mode, but that's it. Did I break my computer? :thumbsup:
How badly have I screwed myself? :flowers:

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:02 PM

When your in safe mode check XP's event viewer for any errors that maybe related, same date/time, when you broke your computer.
X

#3 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:27 PM

I will try that when I get home. How do I check the Event Viewer? :thumbsup: <--- Noob!!!

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Event viewer-
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a...office.10).aspx
Remember what they teach in HJT school, Google is your best friend.
X

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

You talked so much about WMP, yet your title indicates a totally different problem.

Which is the problem? It appears to me that you can boot into XP, which makes your title bogus.

Please advise, thanks.

Louis

#6 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:01 AM

You talked so much about WMP, yet your title indicates a totally different problem.

Which is the problem? It appears to me that you can boot into XP, which makes your title bogus.

Please advise, thanks.

Louis

Well hamluis, when posting a problem it is general practice to explain the steps/actions that led to the problem presenting itself. This gives information for possible "helpers" to use to figure out what might have happened, without having to post alot of questions.

For me, the issue that I was having with WMP, and the steps I was taking to fix it, led to my current problem, which is reflected accurately in the title of this post, i.e., when I start my computer it boots to the screen where you can choose "Safe Mode." When I choose to boot Windows normally, the computer begins to load and then shuts down and boots back to the screen where you can choose "Safe Mode." I refer to this re-booting as "Pc Won't Stop Rebooting on Start-up." Maybe you could have come up with a better/more accurate title. That's the closest that I could come to a Title with my limited knowledge of computers.

I'm sorry if you were offended by my seeming lack of accuracy hamluis but CTH_Tom seemed to be able to decipher my situation without an obnoxious reply, such as yours. So, thank you for your concern but I'd rather deal with someone less demanding and less aggressive than yourself.

Event viewer-
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a...office.10).aspx
Remember what they teach in HJT school, Google is your best friend.

Thanks CTH_Tom! I know I should have googled myself, but my only access to the internet now is at work, and I can't always get on there. It'll be about another 8hrs before I get back home to do the event viewer and another 16hrs before I can access the internet again, so it'll be a while for my next reply. Thanks again!

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

Didn't know you were on a work computer otherwise I would have typed out the steps to event viewer. It was faster to post the link from my bookmarks. :thumbsup:
X

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

<<I'm sorry if you were offended by my seeming lack of accuracy hamluis but CTH_Tom seemed to be able to decipher my situation without an obnoxious reply, such as yours. So, thank you for your concern but I'd rather deal with someone less demanding and less aggressive than yourself>>

In response to my post: "You talked so much about WMP, yet your title indicates a totally different problem.

Please advise, thanks."

Well, sorry you feel that was obnoxious, but I hope you solve it. I just wanted a clarification and you now have provided one. Good luck.

Louis

#9 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:18 AM

Didn't know you were on a work computer otherwise I would have typed out the steps to event viewer. It was faster to post the link from my bookmarks. :inlove:

No problem, appreciate the info anyway I can get it. :thumbsup:
Your link didn't work for me, so I had to Google anyway. :trumpet: Don't know if it's because I'm on a work computer or not.

I checked Event Viewer and there were a lot of events logged, including a lot of "errors." Not sure which ones are related to my current situation because the errors that appear after the removal of WMP also appear prior to its removal. There's one error that appears in a string of 13 - 15 times, each day.

Gonna have to read up on this stuff, cause I have no idea what is important and what isn't. It's gonna be a long one! :flowers:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:12 AM

As you probably have already figured out the red circles with the white X in the middle are the errors. If you see one go across to the Event column and right click on that number, then click on Properties, a page will show a description of the errors. If you could list several of those for us we should be able to help you get a handle on your problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

Ok dc3, I'll post them around this time tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

#12 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:42 AM

OK. I have a few of the Errors written down. I'll have to submit the rest tomorrow.

1. "Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ."
  • This is the error that shows up multiple times (13 - 15 times in a row) before and after the removal of WMP 11.
  • The description just ends after the word 'for.'
  • Source: sptd Event: 4
2. "DCOM got an error "This service cannot be started in safe mode "attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AE5-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
  • Source: DCOM Event: 10005
3. "DCOM got an error "this service cannot be started in safe mode "attempting to start the service event system with arguments ""in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}
  • 2 occurances
There are more errors but I only had time to write these ones down. I'll post the others tomorrow. Hope you can help. :thumbsup:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,585 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:34 AM

You up for a little lite reading? You might benefit from reading this article. There is a lot more information than I would want to try to post here, hence the link.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:58 AM

Thanks dc3.

I wish I had read that before I scanned the first time. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how this would help me out in my current predicament. Should I try the sfc scan in safe mode (only Mode I can boot to), with the changes from this link?

:flowers:

#15 DocSatan

DocSatan

Bleepin' Wanna-Be

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,156 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

These are the other 2 errors that appear:

1. "Windows setup encountered non-fatal errors during installation. Please check the setuperr.log found in your Windows directory for more information."
  • Source: Setup Event: 60055
2. "DCOM got error "the service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." attempting to start the service SENS with arguments "" in order to run the server: {D3938A0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E}
  • 2 ocurrances
I've been working with my friend, who built my system, and he has had me try some commands through System Recovery. This was the "repair" option after booting from the Windows CD.

1. chkdsk -p
  • Found one or more errors on the volume.
2. fixboot
  • Successfully written.
3. fixmbr
  • Chose not to follow through with this after reading the caution.
I tried to reboot my computer, normally, after this and I still get the BSOD. My friend says that I'm screwed and that I should get another hardrive and install Windows to that. Then reinsert my old hard drive, or something close to that.

I can still boot in safe mode, if that has any redeming qualities. :flowers:

I'm guessing that Removing WMP, or rather "rolling back to version that came with system," corrupted a .dll file. Shouldn't this fix be something like re-installing that file, or WMP? Which reminds me, in safe mode I can open the WMP. The first time I tried, it opened and then I "x'ed" out of it. I then got a message saying something about not having current license, or somethiing close to that. (Didn't write the message down) I don't receive that message anymore, nor have I tried to play anything on the WMP.

Am I really at the point of having to reinstall Windows on a new Hard Drive?
Waiting patiently for rescue. :trumpet:

p.s.

dc3, I used regedit to direct sfc /scannow to the C: drive rather than the D: drive. Unfortunately, sfc /scannow won't run in safe mode. The cmd screen blips, then disappears. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users