Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop With More Than One Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

Alright so i hope this is the right spot to post this....

Anyways, we have a DSL line set up with a static IP address which runs from the DSL to a small 5 port router which has two computers connected on it.

Well i want to be able to set up one of the computers to have remote desktop which can be accessed from my house. I have camera software running on it so i need to be able to view video on a custom program running mpeg video. Anyways, i'm not sure how to go about setting up the remote desktop, considering that the computer gets its own ip 192.168.1.1 and the other computer is 192.168.1.2

Well i know i cant connect to remote desktop through that ip but i want to be able to connect through my static ip on my dsl. Would i have to only have one computer running off the DSL box to actually be able to do this? Well thanks for the help guys...

Oh yeah, i tried www.logmein.com and that doesnt work because it wont display video

Thanks for any help or input~!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:54 PM

Remote Desktop Using XP Pro .
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tripflex

tripflex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Ok i understand how to do all that, but my question is does that mean i have to set up some kind of a VPN network?
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:18 AM

You don't have to have a VPN, you can use the actual IP address of the computer.
"Note: If you're not connecting to the host computer through a VPN, you'll need to use the actual IP address of the host computer instead of the computer name."
As for the first statement in the article that only means you need a computer with a static IP address thats always connected to the internet.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

When using Remote Desktop Desktop connection connect with the computers name

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users