Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Trying To Write Files To A Cd And It Won't Work And Is Giving Alerts I Cannot Make Go Away

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TATESKY

TATESKY

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Yesterday I restarted my computer and up popped a balloon that said there are files waiting to be written to a CD. I clicked on it and a window popped up showing some music files in a folder. I tried to cancel it, but it wouldn't let me. It was determined to write these files. Eventually I tried to write the files to a blank cd, but it didn't work either. I figured that would make the problem go away. Then, the computer started to try to initialize some sort of program, but couldn't, and asked me to insert the appropriate disk, which I didn't have, and when I tried to cancel that, I got this alert "windows installer" and it said "preparing to install", and the only option is a button which says "cancel". When I press cancel, instead of cancelling it gives yet another window titled "Microsoft .NET Framework", one of those ones with the BIG RED X, and it says "An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. Click continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue." Then it says "Object reference not set to an instance of an object". The only options are to click the x in the upper right hand corner, which does not make it go away, or a button marked "continue", which doesn't work. There is another button marked "Details", with copious amounts of computer info when selected. I cannot restart or shut down the computer via selcting shut down/restart, the only way I can do it is manually by hitting the restart buutton or the on-off button; when the computer restarts, normally it would seem, eventually all this stuff comes back. This is very frustrating, as we just need this to go away, windows can be so mindbogglingly frustrating to non-computer experts, such as myself. I hope someone can help me, we don't know what the heck to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

Welcome to BC
We're you burning something at the time the error occured? What burning software do you use?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 TATESKY

TATESKY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:01 PM

No, I suspect one of my kids was trying to burn a music cd weeks ago, but not recently, maybe at Thanksgiving; they are both away at college now. I have used Nero burning in the past, but I haven't personally burned a CD in years.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

My guess is malware...this doesn't sound like ordinary system malfunctions, IMO.

First thing I would suggest is a thorough scan by updated AV and malware programs.

Louis

#5 TATESKY

TATESKY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:57 PM

Well, Louis, I will give the malware idea a try, thank you for your suggestion.

Blessings,

Bob

#6 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

Then, the computer started to try to initialize some sort of program

If the name of the program was given I would use the Installer Cleanup utility to remove it. See if that stops the file writing frenzy.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
X

#7 TATESKY

TATESKY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

I tried to download that from windows, but it is a zip file and I have no idea how to do zip files, it is totally beyond me, its like calculus, I know it exists, buit I haven't the foggiest how.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

Try this. In My Computer right-click on the CD drive and click properties. Click the "Recording" tab. Uncheck "Enable CD Recording on this drive", close out all the windows and reboot. Then, follow the same procedure but check "Enable...".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 TATESKY

TATESKY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:15 AM

I can try, but I cannot close all windows, as the windows with the warnings/windows initializing will NOT go away, I cannot close them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users