Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 64 Bit Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:43 PM

i really need to rant here about this issue --i have a 64 bit vista ultimate laptop and i have gotten so tired of seeing vista compatible or vista ready ---what they really mean is vista 32 bit ready --- why oh why can't they distinguish when everyone knows that 32 bit ready or compatible does NOT imply 64 bit ready or compatible --- once again just this morning i attempted to download the new special vista version of yahoo messenger only to discover its not suitable for 64 bit system --which is even more frustrating as the 8.1 version works just fine on my laptop --- that now said ----

where is there a complete list of 64 BIT COMPATIBLE/READY SOFTWARE for vista --- the list must distinguish from just vista ready or 32 bit software --- thanks i appreciate your help in this --- :huh:

Edited by PanthersClaws4, 06 December 2007 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:34 PM

Here's a list for 64 bit - haven't used it myself tho'
http://www.vistaultimate.com/windows-vista...it-software.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:26 PM

Generally, most 32 bit software will work with 64-bit Vista. However, there are some manufacturers that artificially block the installation of 32-bit software onto 64-bit machines. If you want to install Yahoo messenger on 64-bit Vista, I suggest downloading the XP version or use a program like Trillian. What really annoys me is hardware manufacturers doing this, even though they have to make both 32 and 64 bit drivers for the Vista logo program.

3939.png

#4 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

to usama--- ty but that link while it gets me to a page does notthing actually --there is no real list there but thanks for the effort

to DJBPace07 -- i was unaware that most 32 bit software works on 64 bit machines since that has not been my experience -- nor that manufacturers can block the installation --why would they do that?? doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it requires more work to disable than just let it run and make more customers happy???!!! perhaps you could clarify that ---perhaps i was unclear about yahoo -- i have yahoo 8.1 but was anxiously awaiting the specific instant messenger that was being designed for vista only to be disappointed it would not work on my 64 bit machine -- it would not open saying that it was not 64 bit supported --- so i am totally confused why that would be if their 8.1 version works on my 64 bit machine ---perhaps this too could be clarified for me --

thanks for the comments so far

:huh:

Edited by PanthersClaws4, 06 December 2007 - 09:58 PM.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I have 64-bit Vista and tried to install the Yahoo messenger for Vista only to be greeted by that error message. I think that the Vista version is still in beta, they might unblock 64 when it's fully released. I remember trying to use PGP (pretty good privacy) only to get a 64-bit error like the Yahoo one. Aside from a few issues such as these, I haven't had many problems installing 32-bit software on my 64-bit Windows. 32-bit software works with 64-bit Windows thanks to WoW64 which emulates a 32-bit environment. Yahoo Messenger 8.1 was released for XP (and is also 32-bit). Vista can install it with or without compatibility issues. Messenger 9 Beta has, for now at least, been designed to check for which version of Vista is in use prior to installing. If it runs into 64-bit Vista, it aborts the installation.

3939.png

#6 PanthersClaws4

PanthersClaws4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:24 AM

and the reason they stop 64 bit installations would be???? lol -- i have that problem with the new version of adaware, itunes/quicktime, yahoo, system mechanics and some others that i normally use and have reverted to older versions of them though i am not happy about this --- any ideas?? thanks

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:14 AM

I've been able to install Quicktime by itself with no issues. I've never installed iTunes on this computer, but I've heard you can force it to install. Adaware for me is irrelevant because it's function included with my internet security program (which is 64-bit). For PGP, the reason given for blocking installation is that they want it to work natively with 64-bit before they offer support. Since it's not native, it's blocked. Also, if a program, mainly DRM schemes and system software that buries itself deep into Windows, tries to install drivers, it will also be blocked unless they've been signed by Microsoft. I guess I've been lucky when it comes to software because I've only ran into issues a few times.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users