Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built New Computer, Shuts Off At 3 Second Intervals

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ome6a1717

ome6a1717

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I just built a new computer (all the parts were recommended from TomsHardware.com (it's their low-end system).

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/17/sbm_low_cost_system/

That website lists all the parts I ordered if that helps at all. When I put everything together, I pressed the power button and it turned out. 3 seconds later, the machine turned itself off. Not touching anything, 3 seconds later, it turned back on. Rinse. Repeat. I've tried unplugging EVERYTHING down to just the core motherboard 24pin and the 4pin 12x with the processor installed. Still nothing. I've switched out a different powersupply (both of them were brand new). Nothing. Two things I will mention that may have been my fault is that I did put the dual channel memory right next to each other (one yellow, one black ... I know, I know). But I tried switching it, and it still didn't work (also, will that screw up my memory?). I also may have bent a pin or two when trying to put the processor in (didn't realize there was a cover on the processor when I put it in).

Now, I've done a bit of research on this, and lots of people just recentely started having this problem. However, I have yet to see one solution on it. I sent my motherboard and processor back for an exchange with new ones. The processor is here unopened, and I'm just waiting on the motherboard. I'm trying to make sure this doesn't happen again.

My guess is that the processor was overheating very rapidly, which could be caused by improper fan placement (it's thermal tape, and I did put the fan on, take it off, and then reaply the fan, which I'm not sure if that's what would cause it or not). My other guess was that the motherboard pins were bent, but I can't imagine all the other people with my problem would have bent the pins as well. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

The first mistake i made while building my first computer was that I had not put the copper standoffs in the case before the motherboard. These kept the board from rubbing against the metal on the case and shorting out.

Also, it could be an overheating problem. If you're sure the fan/heatsink is on right, make sure the thermal paste it on right too. You should only need a very very small amount. Just enough to barely cover the top of the processor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 ome6a1717

ome6a1717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

The first mistake i made while building my first computer was that I had not put the copper standoffs in the case before the motherboard. These kept the board from rubbing against the metal on the case and shorting out.

Also, it could be an overheating problem. If you're sure the fan/heatsink is on right, make sure the thermal paste it on right too. You should only need a very very small amount. Just enough to barely cover the top of the processor.

Thanks for the introduction :thumbsup:.

The copper standoffs is another thing I didn't do that I will be sure to once I get my motherboard back. The new heatsink I have use thermal tape instead of the paste, which I have never worked with (or seen) before. It may have been that the fan wasn't fully mounted. You had to use quite a lot of bodyweight to get it in.

Should I install the motherboard into the case before I mess with the other parts (mainly the CPU and heatsink)? Thanks!

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

You should not reuse a thermal pad. I recommend thermal paste Example and Application instructions. Make sure all traces of the old thermal pad are removed and wipe down with rubbing alcohol. Personally, I install the CPU/heatsink before I install the motherboard. Especially using the stand-offs , the board tends to flex a lot. As you found out, be careful when placing the CPU in the socket
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 06 December 2007 - 05:56 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

I similarly install the CPU, HSF, and memory on a table using the foam pad the MB was shipped with as support for the MB.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 December 2007 - 07:19 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 ome6a1717

ome6a1717
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

Great ideas. Thanks for the help, guys :thumbsup: