Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Will Not Install Over Newer Verion..?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:58 PM

I was going to install Windows XP last night but I get a message saying that my current XP is newer then the one I want to install so it won't let me. How can I get around that? I'm using the same software that came with this 'puter.

Thanks in advance.
Clydesdale™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:05 PM

If you are doing a reinstall (as opposed to a repair install), wipe the hard drive first and then install Windows (for wiping the drive you could use something like Darik's Boot and Nuke).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:58 AM

If you are doing a reinstall (as opposed to a repair install), wipe the hard drive first and then install Windows (for wiping the drive you could use something like Darik's Boot and Nuke).

I looked into Darik`s Boot and Nuke and it says I have to be a registered Microsoft .... bla bla. I`ll look for some tutorial for how do I install from boot then format. I've never done that so I don't know how.
Clydesdale™

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'm just curious here, why are you needing to reinstall the OS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 deyamag

deyamag

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:51 PM

I think use format not quick format.
Innovate or Evaporate.

#6 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm just curious here, why are you needing to reinstall the OS?

Because there was some bugs in it from day 1 when I bought it new several years ago from Futurshop and didn't mater what I tried, I couldn't get rid of them. Bugs are gone now but now I still have the old stuff lurking around in the hard drive somewhere. My step son is an IT graduate and will come do a fresh install for me this weekend.
Thanks for all your help.
Clydesdale™

#7 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:32 PM

Ok, I successfully formated my hard drive, re-installed Windows XP but I made a mistake. :trumpet: :thumbsup:

I have 2 computers side by side and I have no idea why or how, except for the fact that it was late at night & I was tired :inlove: but, when I installed XP, I used the serial # off the other puter by mistake. Now the both have the same reg. serial number. The good one is already reg & activated. I now have 23 days left to activate the one I re-installed XP. Is there a way to change the reg. # to it's proper# without having to re-install again? :flowers:
Thanks again
Clydesdale™

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:55 PM

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Microsoft has a tool for that, happens often it seems
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:11 PM

Thank you very much Chewy!!! :thumbsup:
Clydesdale™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users