Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting Partitioned Drive With Xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vagabnd

vagabnd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

Any suggestions on how best to format a partitioned drive? Inhereted a laptop with this issue and need to get rid of ME professional that is slowing the XP side of things down still. It will not let me simply reformat the drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:56 AM

An xp cd willl partition and format a hard drive, if you boot to the cd first, make sure you have all the drivers you'll need.

Especially the modem or ethernet.

Edited by DaChew, 06 December 2007 - 10:56 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:05 PM

The Disk Management tool will not allow you to format a harddrive if it is the partition containing the OS with which you are working. That would erase the OS you are currently working in.

You must boot from CD in order to proceed to the point during installation where you can delete any existing partitions, format a new partition with a file system (NTFS is always recommended), and then install the OS on the newly formatted partition of the hard drive.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#4 vagabnd

vagabnd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:48 PM

Will this enable me to overwrite both OS? The problem I am running into is that ME is running on the other partition and I think that it is causing some confusion. Can I 86 that in favor of new XP version?

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

Yes once you boot from the CD during the installion you can choose to delete the exsisting partition this will erase EVERYTHING and install Win XP fresh and new.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:07 PM

Sneaky's option is the best, if you installed xp on a seperate partition from windows ME, and after ME then your xp boot files are still on the ME partition.

I don't think that having ME would slow down XP tho, course it's beyond me why anyone would want to keep it tho.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

I would definitely favor deleting all existing partitions if you are sure you do not need to recover any files. Format with NTFS to wipe out all traces of bad files, sectors, malware and any other potential sources of $hitware code that could screw you up later.

Plus it will give you the option to create custom partition size, multiple partitions, etc. if you wipe out all other existing OSs.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

#8 Andrew D'Angelo

Andrew D'Angelo

• Banned
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

make SURE you have ALL the drivers you could possibly need before formatting. you might not be albe to find the correct ones. Laptop drivers are EXTREMELY hard to find (on the basis that they generally dont use the EXACT same chipset on two laptops)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users