Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Primary Hard Drive Not Found, But Still Boots

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SkOoTcHe

SkOoTcHe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:40 AM

Hello all,

this is my first post.

I have a dell computer P4 , 256 ram , 160 seagate HD. I installed the HD over a year ago the computer has always worked great. I was repairing a friends computer and i was using mine as good parts to locate the problem on theirs.

Now when i boot up the computer BIOS starts and the computer pauses for about 2 mins. a screen pops up and says Primary Hard Drive Not found. Press F1 to continue or F2 for boot sequence. If i press F1 the computer proceeds to load windows and it runs fine.

To me it recognizing my HD as a slave. I checked the HD jumper and it was on cable select and i had it plugged in on the last plug on the ribbon. I changed the jumper to master. and i even unplugged the dvd drive. I check Bios and My hd is set to load firstt and only 1 HD is listed. I've been pissing with this thing but now i'm out of ideas.

any suggestions :thumbsup:

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:38 PM

In your bios (It wasn't clear to me on your post) what is the drive listed as primary MASTER Primary SLAVE Secondary MASTER or Secondary SLAVE. Make sure the drive is plugged into the primary IDE port on the motherboard and not the Secondary. Not connected to the right port will cause this error and the bios will continue to look for the bootable volume until it finds it which if plugged in wrong will be the Secondary MASTER.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 SkOoTcHe

SkOoTcHe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

ok let me confirm which slot it is plugged into.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users