Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frmpop - What Is This?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 john85

john85

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:44 AM

First of all let me say thanks to all of you who would just bother to read this and an extra thanks to those who will reply with a constractive answer!
Okai, my problem is like the following: there is this thing that keeps putting everything I focus on at the background, for example: if I play a game which is in full mode, I all of a sudden get thrown to windows (the game is minimized), if I write an e-mail, or write in a forum, than all of a sudden the cursor vanishs from the mail because my browser is being pushed to the background (its not longer highlighted in the taskbar), the only way I can see that 'thing' is by using alt+tab, i there see it in the alt+tab window/menu as an unknown program which in most of the times have no title, but in rare cases its called "frmpop"
I googled this "frmpop" and most of the results are irrelevent as frmpop is some code in computer language.
but, not all the results were invain, this is a link to a person I've seen who written about the same problem:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lof...hp/t116087.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/117142/frmpop/
I did some of the insturction in the replys they got, as much as I thought that made sense.
I ran SUPERAntiSpyware in safe mode and in normal mode, disabled system restore, ran Ad-Aware 2007 in both safe mode and normal, ran my AV in both normal and sade mode.
All came with negetive results at the scans.
Also I wanna add this usualy happens after I turn my pc on.
I never used HJT btw, and I've seen u guys request it alot here, so a little guidance (if I'll need to use it) will be appreciated!
Thanks again in advance!
-John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:06 AM

Open up the Task Manager to see if you can identify anything connected with Frmpop.

First check in the Applications tab and then the Processes tab.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 john85

john85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

Open up the Task Manager to see if you can identify anything connected with Frmpop.

First check in the Applications tab and then the Processes tab.

Thanks for the reply.
I did infact tried this a few times, whenever I had this frmpop attack I used to open my Task Manager and try and see if I can identify any new process that starts or any unusual acitivty by any process already existing by taking to much memory, but nothing, all seemed fine, that frmpop I could see when i nevigated with the 'alt+tab' menu yet I couldnt see anything strange in the Task Manager (both in process and Application).

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 02:05 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the frmpop attacks.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time of the frmpop attacks right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 john85

john85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for replying once again.
I just had an attack at about midnight my time and I could not find anything at all that that Event Viewer recorded at the time of the attack, however, I did have some errors that repeated themself but I am unsure if they are of any importance to my current problem.
I will post here the errors I see:

19:04 - The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.0.123:123->207.46.197.32:123).

14:50 - A driver packet received from the I/O subsystem was invalid. The data is the packet.
Repeated multiple times.

Both under the System tab.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,615 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

You are not the only one with this problem. From doing a search for frmpop it is malware.
Suggest you post a Hijack This log.

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 john85

john85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:41 AM

You are not the only one with this problem. From doing a search for frmpop it is malware.
Suggest you post a Hijack This log.

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Thank you for rpelying.
I will do this right away!

#8 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:00 PM

Hi john85,

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users