Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avpo Infection, Possible New Form, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pentalarc

pentalarc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:21 AM

My computer is currently infect with avpo or a form of it. I cannot access my hard drives by doubleclicking, which seems to be the major symptom, plus slow performance and other symptoms of avpo.

The one thing that is different is that when I tried to open the hard drives, I get "ntdelect not found." All of the ones I've seen before the avpo file is ntde1ect. Replacing the "t" in ntdetect with a "1", but mine is an "l" as in "Larry."

I tried to search for ntdelect, but the only sites which came up were in Thai and Russian (I think) without a translation option, and I do not speak either language.

The following programs have failed to remove the virus:

AdAware
PestPatrol
AVG
RegRun Reanimator.

RegRun Reanimator found it, but when I restarted (As prompted) it was still there, with the same message, and I could not open my drives with a doubleclick.

I run Windows XP Pro.

The error message when I try to open the drives by doubleclick is:

Windows cannot find ntdelect.com

This file is needed for opening files of the type 'File'.

Type in the executable file to be used instead:

C:/

Then it has the OK Cancel Browse. . . buttons.

Please help. I am at my wits end, I've tried everything I can think of at this point to get rid of the thing, and no dice.

Thanks in advance,
Pentalarc

Edited by pentalarc, 06 December 2007 - 06:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:46 AM

From what you describe, it appears to be a flash drive infection. Symptoms include the inability to open drives/partitions.

Flash drive infections usually involve malware that loads an autorun.inf file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable). When the removable media is inserted, autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes a malicious autorun.bat file which calls wscript.exe to run autorun.vbs on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

Please insert your flash drive before we begin!

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

You should print out these instructions, or copy them to a NotePad file for reading while in Safe Mode, because you will not be able to connect to the Internet to read from this site.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download Sysclean Package & save it to your desktop.
  • Create a new folder on drive "C:\" and rename it Sysclean - (C:\Sysclean).
  • Place the sysclean.com inside that folder.
  • Then download the latest Virus Pattern Files - (Pattern files are usually named lptxxx.zip, where xxx is the pattern file number)
  • Extract (unzip) the lptxxx.zip pattern file into the Sysclean folder where you put sysclean.com. (Click here for information on how to extract a file if your not sure how to do this. DO NOT scan yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with Sysclean as follows:
  • Open the Sysclean folder and double-click on sysclean.com to start the scanning process.
  • Put a check mark on the "Automatically clean or delete infected files" option by clicking in the checkbox.
  • Click the Advanced >> button.
  • The scan options appear. Select the "Scan all local fixed drives".
  • Click the "Scan button" on the Trend Micro System Cleaner console.
  • It will take some time to complete. Be patient and let it clean whatever it finds.
  • Another MS-DOS window appears containing the log file (sysclean.log) generated in the same folder where the scan is completed - C:\Sysclean.
  • To view the log, click the "View button" on the Trend Micro System Cleaner console. The Trend Micro Sysclean Package - Log window appears.
    • The Files Detected section shows the viruses that were detected by System Cleaner.
    • The Files Clean section shows the viruses that were cleaned.
    • The Clean Fail section shows the viruses that were not cleaned.
  • Exit when done, reboot normally and re-enable your anti-virus program.
Instructions with screenshots are here if you need them.

When using Sysclean its best to use the Administrator's account or an account with Administrative rights otherwise you will not have access rights to scan some locations. You can also Use the "Run As" Command to Start a Program as an Administrator. Even when doing that, the scanning process may result in "Access Denied" messages for some files. This is normal because these files are protected by the system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pentalarc

pentalarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks, I will try this.

One thing, though, I do not have a flash drive, just two standard hard drives and a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive that hasn't worked in a few months.

(I was planning on replacing this computer soon, but need the data off the drives, which, from what I read, would spread avpo to the new drives.)

Also, I'll have to make the new folder on the desktop, since avpo won't actually let me get to the C drive.

Edited by pentalarc, 06 December 2007 - 02:51 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:34 PM

Ok. Then you can skip the part about inserting a flash drive. I included it in my instructions because this type of infection can spread by removable media.

#5 pentalarc

pentalarc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

Seems to have worked. Thanks very much.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,927 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

Good job.

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users