Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Attachments

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vivienne

vivienne

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

I have had a couple of attachments sent to me recently with a file ending of .docx which I haven't been able to open. The people sending them had recently updated their computers. I am using Windows XP and Microsoft Word 2000. Can anybody suggest a way I could open these attachments as this is something that is likely to happen again in the future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

Hi, vivienne.

Files ending in .docx are still word documents, but it is the new extension that Microsoft Word 2007 saves documents in. Downloading the latest Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack from Microsoft will help you open, edit, and save documents in the new file format used by Microsoft Office Word, Powerpoint and Excel 2007.

Although, you could ask the people sending you these documents, when saving the file to save it as a Word 97 - 2003 document - Seen here - Posted Image
(Click to enlarge the image)

I hope this was helpful :thumbsup:

Edited by Djk, 06 December 2007 - 07:41 AM.

Regards,
Kyle

#3 vivienne

vivienne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:01 AM

Wonderful advice - thanks a lot, I can now open the attachment and I know it will be useful also in the future.

Regards
Vivienne

#4 dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Since this earlier post answered some of my questions, I hope it's OK to add on to it to get additional clarification, instead of having you folks have to re-answer part of it.

In my case, we're the ones who are upgrading to Vista and Office 2007 products. I had assumed that we'd have to save attachments as earlier versions so our recipients could open them - but I wanted to confirm whether the emails themselves would be able to be opened. Since Outlook opens Word as it's editor, and Word will be 2007 on our side, will recipients with other mail systems or earlier versions have any trouble reading the emails? Is it just the actual attachments with the new file extension that are a possible problem? Would it be the same issues for jpg's and spreadsheets and such?

A couple of my recipients are residents in a senior home, using their shared computers, so getting the Combatability Pack will be difficult (they've been waiting two months for their corporate people to hook up the printer, and the computers were 'installed' by the maintenance man) :thumbsup: I just want to make sure I make it easy for them to read and reply to emails. One lady is 87 and just learning about computers. :flowers:

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users