Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Problems And Hfs.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gypsyrose

gypsyrose

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

last night I started up my laptop and found out that the wireless internet didn't work. I checked the connections "Show all connections" and the router, and it's all fine and our other computer (this one!) connects and works fine. Apparently the laptop is connected but doesn't think it is? Or something, because i can't load any internet pages or really seem to connect, even though it says it is.
That has actually been happening for a while while i'm NOT at my house and trying to connect to other networks, but it hasn't been that much of a problem. However now it's happening ALL the time.
When my laptop starts up it seems to work okay and be connected until a box popped up and said "hfs.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." After i receive that message, the internet acts like it's not connected. I've run AVG, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-Aware SE Personal, and cleared out all of that stuff.
So if anybody has any useful bits of info that would be great.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:27 AM

Do you know which program this hfs.exe file belongs to? A quick internet search shows it to be a HTTP File Server. Maybe you should try uninstalling it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 gypsyrose

gypsyrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

I deleted this file (there were two... one hfs.exe and one that had hfs in it, so i deleted both). Buuuuut I guess it's unrelated, because there is still no connection registering despite that it says it's connected.
I went to File -> Properties in the internet explorer window, and it says "Cannot find server." Under Address it says res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://www.google.ca/. I don't know if that's of any importance?
I did have AVG on my computer, and when I started my computer it said there was an alert and that the email scanner was not functional. It had also been popping up messages the day before, saying that a threat had been detected (I got this message almost constantly before I turned the laptop off). I ran the AVG scanner though and it found only a few items, which I fixed. As I mentioned before, I then did Ad-Aware SE and Spybot and fixed those items.
However, every time I run Ad-Aware it ends up with some negligible items. When I click on "Show Logfile," and then "Negligible Objects," there are a few items that say "MRU List." Descriptions are of the seven items include things like "most recent application to use microsoft direct3d, dirext X, directdraw, directinput (x2), list of recent search terms used with the search assistant, and mru list for items opened in start | run. Under location, they are either in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... or HKEY_USERS:S-1-5-21-42061202-1112450825-3466516896-1006...
I uninstalled AVG because I thought maybe it somehow wasn't working properly, but that didn't do anything either.
And when I was going through Network Connections, I clicked on "Change Windows Firewall settings" and it says it can't be displayed because the associated service is not running, and asks if I want to "start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service," so I said yes, and it said it can't start it.
I don't know if any of this is related to the problem.. haha.. but it would REALLY be nice to get it up and running again.
Thanks.

#4 gypsyrose

gypsyrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

PS - It's also REALLY slow on startup and takes a while for the desktop items and other startup stuff to appear.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Run the System File Checker (SFC).

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

Then, make sure you are logged on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Type: ipconfig /flushdns
Type: netsh winsock reset
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users