Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata And Ide Won't Work Together

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scientific

Scientific

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hello,

I have a native SATA motherboard with a SATA 250GB hard drive installed. I am trying to add my old 80GB IDE drive to my system but have problems. First, I bought a new IDE Dual Drive Controller and hooked the IDE drive to it but my computer tries to boot from the IDE drive instead of the SATA drive.

I gave up on the IDE Controller then went and bought a IDE to SATA Converter. I installed the Converter on the IDE drive but now the system won't boot at all, it just sits there and does nothing.

I know very little about SATA, so I can't figure out what's wrong with what I'm doing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

In your motheboard bios there are options for boot priority

also sounds like the old ide drive was bootable?

beware the convertors??
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Scientific

Scientific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

DaChew,

Hmmm, you think the old drive might have boot files on it? I'll go and install the old drive in my other PC and check on that. Meanwhile, can you enlighten me more about the converters. Sounds like you know something about them I don't know about. Did I waste my money buying the converter because that's what it's starting to look like since it won't work. Thanks DaChew.

-S

#4 Scientific

Scientific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Chewy,

You are a God Send. I checked my old 80GB drive in my other PC and just as you suspected there were boot files on it. I removed the boot files and put the drive back in my new native SATA PC. Then I changed the jumpers on the old drive and made it the primary drive on the new IDE Controller card. Last, I went and changed the boot order (like you said) and the system booted. Everything works flawlessly because of your comments. I don't need the drive converter anymore but I may find a use for it someday.

Thank you a million times over for leading me in the right direction to find a solution :thumbsup:

-S

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:55 PM

:thumbsup:

good work

I accidently deleted a 160 gig ide data partition one day cause windows and bios gave it drive letter priority over the sata drive I was trying to install to.

Last time I ever make that mistake

Edited by DaChew, 06 December 2007 - 09:58 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users