Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dad's Computer Not Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kpalys

kpalys

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:35 PM

Hi,

My dad's computer appears to have some serious problems. A few months ago, he purchased a computer from Dell that came with Windows XP. Previously, he had been on Windows 98. He had the computer installed and, from what I can tell, they set up it up using the MS firewall, automatic updates and Norton utilities. He uses AOL for the ISP.

Lately, he is continually getting disconnected from the internet. I suspect he has virus, spyware and adware causing problems. Here is the challenge ... my dad is 82 and has very limited knowledge of the computer; mostly he does emails. And he lives 1500 miles away.

Is there a way that I can remotely access his computer in order to run HJT log and post? By phone, we attempted to download Spybot, but the internet kept disconnecting before we could make any progress.

I thought I could start the process by sending him a CD with Spybot, Ad-Aware and HJT programs so that he could install and run the first two. I plan to walk him through the process by phone. However, having him attempt to paste in a HJT log to this site might be more than he can handle. That is where, if possible, I would like to be able to remotely access his computer. I would be afraid that trying to follow directions for cleaning up would be too frustrating for him.

I also have Windows XP, am reasoably able to handle technology, but certainly am not a technical guru but follow directions well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas / help that you can provide.

Kathy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 st0nedsk8er

st0nedsk8er

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:53 PM

i do believe that windows xp has remote assitance..go to start>>all programs>>remote assitance....and its all cake from there..hope this helped

#3 kpalys

kpalys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2005 - 09:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. I thought that XP had that capability, but hadn't checked it out. I will do so. Hopefully, AOL email and Outlook will work together.

Kathy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users