Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting The Blue Screen Of Death Sporadically

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mineshamin

mineshamin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:54 PM

I have windows XP SP2 on my laptop, and a few months ago i was having major pop-up issues, i read a few posts on here and was going to attempt to do the whole hi-jack this + smitrem + adaware solution, but after running adaware and spybot many many times, the pop-ups stopped one day. I thought everything was fine, and it has been for the past few months, but then last night when i turned on the laptop i got the blue screen of death, after which the computer automatically restarted. this happened about 5 times in a row, with the computer being on for approx. 1-2 minutes before the blue screen came on. I know from previous experiences a la windows 95 that there is usually a code of some sort on the blue screen that lets techs know what the problem is, but i couldn't locate it in the 2-3 seconds that the screen was there before the whole thing shuts down. My questions are do you need to know that code, and if so is there some way to slow the computer when the blue screen shows up so i can record that information or possibly some other way to get it? Also, is there something else that can be done to figure out whats wrong and possibly fix it. could this possibly be from the viruses that i may have had before? thank you very much for your help.

Minesh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Welcome to the Forum mineshamin

Please do this

To stop the reboot process go to
}Start
}Right click My Computer
}Properties
}Advanced
}Startup and Recovery and untick automatically restart

the screen will now stop so you can copy it All and post that info back and someone will be able to better assist.

Edited by boopme, 05 December 2007 - 11:23 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mineshamin

mineshamin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:59 AM

I did as you recommended, and was unable to copy the text in order to paste it, but since it was on my laptop, right after i failed at being able to copy it with the ctrl+c, it happened again, so i left the screen up and here is what it said (typed on my desktop), word for word from top to bottom:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space (I have ~50% freespace on the troubled laptop). If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacture for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need, to use Safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xF96DE795, 0xF9D38A68, 0xF9D38764)

*** Nifp47.sys - Address F96DE795 base at F96C1000, Datestamp 474aa44b

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance (i don't have a system administrator in my pocket so that's out of the question...!)

Just a note, the above after the big gap is me staring at my blue screen of death and typing it out word for word in my desktop. that is exactly as stated and only because of your genius info letting me know how to stop it from automatically restarting so thanks a bunch for helping me to figure out how to help you help me!

Minesh

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:01 AM

This type of problem can be difficult to troubleshoot. A few things you can try are:
  • Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc and press Enter). Look for any X or ! symbols.
  • Update your video driver (How to update a Windows hardware driver).
  • Test your RAM using Memtest86.
  • Test your hard drive by downloading a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer's website.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users