Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recycler Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thor_4960

thor_4960

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

I was using "spacemonger" to help me identify areas to clean up my hard drive. It shows my Recycler folder to have about 9 GB of what look to be mainly digital home video & pictures.

I tried to search this forum for some help. This resulted in me trying to look at the invisible files and running the DOS prompt "attrib -h -s c:\recycler...... del c:\recycler" commands. Neither of these things were successful. When I adjusted the settings to see the invisible files I could see the recycler folder and the folder which contained the files that I could see in "spacemonger", but I couldn't see any of the files within the folder. The DOS prompt and following reboot didn't seem to do anything at all.

If I look at the recycle bin itself there are no files to delete and the "Empty Recycle Bin" option is not active.

How can I get these files to be viewable so I can actually delete them??

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

Hello thor_4960,

It may be that the Recycle Bin files are for another user account on your computer. If you have more than one user account on your system, try logging on to one of those other user accounts and empty that Recycle Bin.

From recent experience helping someone else, it appears that the Recycle Bin is maintained on a per-user basis.

#3 thor_4960

thor_4960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:28 AM

.....and I say to myself.... "Duh" ...... sometimes computer problems aren't so complicated! Thanks, this was my problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users